Respected Contributor

https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

It just seems to be getting worse by the day there.....

Honored Contributor

This didn't happen overnight.  I was born in Chicago and we left in 1970.  It was already turning dangerous.  My sisters had stayed there and within two years they left, too.

There are several websites that track the criminal activity.  I don't even recognize our old neighborhood anymore.  I loved it there but I wouldn't go back.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

The main problem stems from fear...no one says something when they see something.

Valued Contributor

My son lives in Chicago on the South Side in the historic Pullman section.  While he is a distance from this violence, I still worry about him.  There is too much violence in the world and leaders need to stand up and do something to stop it before more lives are lost. People keep talking about how it needs to stop but no one, including me, offers any solutions.       docsgirl

Contributor

Thanks to Lollapalooza the gang bangers and idiots knew that the police would have their focus on the festival and the streets were more open than usual for the freedom to aim and fire at innocent children, adults and anything in between.  This could be why the shooting were up more than usual.  Focus on starting to admit who and what you see (and I totally understand the fear) because all the marching and protests evidently is not fixing the problem. It may never change but we can pray for the violence to stop!

Respected Contributor

Question:  Where is former Rep. Gabby Giffords?  Where is Mark Kelly?  Where is David Hogg (the "voice" of the Parkland shooting)?  Where are the rest of the "anti-gun activists?  

Question:  This is black-on-black violence.  Where are the so-called "Black Leaders"?  Where is BLM?  These are black lives that are being ended in a hale of gunfire.

I guess they're silent because the situation doesn't fit their narrative.

Respected Contributor

Re: 10 People Shot TODAY!

[ Edited ]

I live in Chicago. I think the outside world thinks Chicago is the wild wild west - people running combat up and down Michigan Avenue. There’s 3 million people in Chicago. The 10 killed were primarily gang related. They have their own policing system. They don’t cooperate with the police. They have illegal guns. Thinking David Hogg is going to come in and talk sense is ludicrous 

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat Is right. Chicago is my favorite city in the U.S. I would feel very safe and happy to live there. Perspective and facts are important. 

Esteemed Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

My son lives in Chicago on the South Side in the historic Pullman section.  While he is a distance from this violence, I still worry about him.  There is too much violence in the world and leaders need to stand up and do something to stop it before more lives are lost. People keep talking about how it needs to stop but no one, including me, offers any solutions.       docsgirl

I would worry too. There were parts of Little Rock, Arkansas that seemed safe years ago. But, the crime and violence seems to have spread out. Its not near as bad in some parts but I don't think its near as safe as it use to be in those use to low crime areas either.

Heck, even out in the boondocks where I live things have changed quite a bit.