doing anything as a community."

Fred Waller, Chicago Police Chief of Patrol, voiced

frustration at gang members whom he blamed for taking

advantage of large summer crowds to use as cover to take

revenge.

"The gang members do not fear repercussions from the

law. They take advantage of that opportunity and they

shoot into a crowd, no matter who they hit,” Waller

said. Even a block party was not safe from the violence.

Not one person was arrested after all these Chicago

citizens were shot over the weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

@JINX wrote:

Thanks to Lollapalooza the gang bangers and idiots knew that the police would have their focus on the festival and the streets were more open than usual for the freedom to aim and fire at innocent children, adults and anything in between.  This could be why the shooting were up more than usual.  Focus on starting to admit who and what you see (and I totally understand the fear) because all the marching and protests evidently is not fixing the problem. It may never change but we can pray for the violence to stop!

Maybe, but Lollapalooza didn’t take police away from the bad areas; extra policing for the festival were people who would have had the day off.  Violence tends to increase with the temperature. (That’s why comparing year to year numbers don’t work for me - a warm winter equals more shootings because people are out.)

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Question:  Where is former Rep. Gabby Giffords?  Where is Mark Kelly?  Where is David Hogg (the "voice" of the Parkland shooting)?  Where are the rest of the "anti-gun activists?  

Question:  This is black-on-black violence.  Where are the so-called "Black Leaders"?  Where is BLM?  These are black lives that are being ended in a hale of gunfire.

I guess they're silent because the situation doesn't fit their narrative.

You're joking, right?

Honored Contributor

I don’t know why all of the special interest groups,the families and the government officials aren’t outraged.I don’t know why the violence is so common but the city doesn’t prioritize the problem.I feel sad for the families who lost loved ones and for the families who have to wonder every day if they will get that horrible unthinkable news.

Honored Contributor

I know someone who lives close to Chicago. She says when they go into the city for an event , they only take the amount of cash they can afford to lose, wear no jewelry and take no credit cards. They have been robbed a couple times - they just give up the cash they have and consider it over. No point to call the police. She NEVER takes her purse to the city with her.

Trusted Contributor

Re: 10 People Shot TODAY!

[ Edited ]

So sad.  Such a gorgeous city with such crime.  Those that live there must be very tired of it.  Maybe the police dept for that area needs more help...to get a handle on things.  I also heard that shootings are down 25% from last year in Chicago.  WOW, hard to believe. 

Respected Contributor

@bathina  Wrong!!  

These people only come out of the woodwork when gun violence fits their narrative; either cop shoots someone or a maniac opens fire somewhere.  You never hear them say so much as a peep when it's the gang violence in major cities that is an almost routine occurrence.

What's your explanation?

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don’t know why all of the special interest groups,the families and the government officials aren’t outraged.I don’t know why the violence is so common but the city doesn’t prioritize the problem.I feel sad for the families who lost loved ones and for the families who have to wonder every day if they will get that horrible unthinkable news.

Dozens and dozens of people, including 6 year olds, have been killed due to easy access to guns. In one day in Vegas, 58 people were killed. Using Chicago's gang related shootings to call into question the motivation of people who have dedicated their lives to find solutions to this stain on America, is nothing less than a dog whistle. Nope. Scratch that. It's a fog horn.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@bathina  Wrong!!  

These people only come out of the woodwork when gun violence fits their narrative; either cop shoots someone or a maniac opens fire somewhere.  You never hear them say so much as a peep when it's the gang violence in major cities that is an almost routine occurrence.

What's your explanation?

Fog horn

Honored Contributor

A zillion different scenarios.

A zillion different communities.

A zillion different situations.

A zillion different people.

but....

only one gun.