Honored Contributor

Re: 1 dead, 7 injured after incident at Ohio State Fair

@Laura14 It just occurred to me that I read it's the Ohio State Agriculture Dept. doing the testing. Hmmmmmm.....

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Laura14 It just occurred to me that I read it's the Ohio State Agriculture Dept. doing the testing. Hmmmmmm.....

@Pearlee  Agriculture?  Not up on who works where on government but I always thought they were more environmental based workers.  You learn something every day....

Honored Contributor

The 18 yr old who was killed, Tyler Jarell,  had just joined the marines last week.  How very sad.

tyler-jarrell-2.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

The 18 yr old who was killed, Tyler Jarell,  had just joined the marines last week.  How very sad.

tyler-jarrell-2.jpg

My heart breaks for his loved ones. 

R I P kiddo! Gone to soon Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

According to the NY Post, a teenaged girl who was injured on the ride just woke up in the hospital asking for her boyfriend who was on the ride with her, and her mom had to tell her it was her boyfriend who was the one deceased person.  The girl has had two surgeries and will undergo another tomorrow.  She doesn't remember the accident.  

How sad.....

Honored Contributor

this is such a sad and tragic event.

i am not a "ride" person at all......even when i was younger.

there is a very similar ride that they shut down today in ocean city, maryland at the end of the boardwalk. they wanted to reinspect it.....ours is called "the freakout," and it is manufactured by the same company as "the fireball." they did reopen it late in the afternoon.....i wonder if anyone dared to ride it?

our state fair is coming up at the end of august.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The NY Post is reporting this on its website:  "Carnival and amusement park operators throughout the country have been ordered to stop using the “Fire Ball” ride and others like it following the deadly accident at the Ohio State Fair.

The Dutch manufacturer of the pendulum-type thrill ride — which swings riders 40 feet in the air and spins them at 13 revolutions per minute — sent out notices Thursday instructing operators to suspend use until further notice, according to Reuters.   ...

The Dutch firm specifically asked that “operators of all Fireball/Afterburner (FRB24) and Move-it (MVT24/MVT32) type amusement rides” cease operations immediately."