Esteemed Contributor

1 dead, 7 injured after incident at Ohio State Fair

[ Edited ]

And this is exactly why I don't go on rides at fairs

. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to all who were affected by this tragedy.

I copied this from GMA. I would provide a link, but you know how that goes.

One person is dead and seven others injured -- three of whom are in critical condition -- after the Fire Ball ride at the Ohio State Fair broke apart in mid-air Wednesday night, the Ohio State Highway Patrol said.

The deceased is an 18-year-old male, according to fire department officials.

The Grant Medical Center in Columbus has admitted three patients, hospital spokesperson Mark Hopkins told ABC News. Two of the three patients are in fair and stable condition, while the third is in critical and stable condition. Hopkins said the hospital is not expecting any additional patients.

And Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center said it received three patients from the fair. At a press conference Wednesday night, the facility's Dr. David Evans said all three patients were in critical condition, one of whom was still in surgery at the time. Most of the injuries were orthopedic-related.

Evans said the patients ranged in age from late teens to 50s-60s.

The Ohio State Fair confirmed the incident on its Twitter account late Wednesday and said it would investigate the issue and "report information as available."

In a later tweet, the fair confirmed that it would re-open on Thursday morning, but it said all rides would be shut down until they are inspected and deemed safe again.

"Our hearts are heavy for the families of those involved in last night’s tragic accident. We have shut down all rides until the state has inspected each and every ride again and deemed them to be safe," fair officials tweeted early Thursday. "Gates will open at 9 am and other activities will resume as scheduled.”

At a press conference Wednesday night, Col. Paul Pride of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said a trooper at the fair called in a report of a ride malfunction at 7:24 p.m.

Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Steve Martin said people were trapped on the ride, ABC Columbus affiliate WSYX reported.

David Daniels, the director of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, said at Wednesday night's press conference that he spoke with Gov. John Kasich after the incident. Kasich subsequently ordered the shutdown of all rides until there was a full review.

According to amusement ride operator Amusements of America, the Fire Ball "combines swinging and spinning action all in one ride! Since it's debut in 2002, the Fire Ball has become one of the most popular thrill rides on the AOA Midway. The Fire Ball swings riders 40' above the midway while spinning them at 13 revolutions per minute"

Daniels said the Department of Agriculture inspects rides every day, adding that 11 rides at the fair did not open on Wednesday because they were not inspected. He added that four rides will not be operating because they did not meet the requirements of a mechanical test.

Kasich, also at the press conference, said the Fire Ball had been inspected multiple times by a third-party inspector.

The Ohio Department of Agriculture's chief inspector of amusement ride safety, Mike Vartorella, said inspectors have been present at the fair since last Wednesday. The inspection for the Fire Ball would include evaluating connections and hydraulics. Vartorella said the Fire Ball had been inspected three to four times over the previous two days.

Gov. Kasich said he will be at the fair tomorrow, when it is slated to re-open.

Kasich previously said in a statement that he was “terribly saddened” by the incident. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to those grieving and injured," he said.

Wednesday marked the first day of the fair, which is scheduled to run through Aug. 6, according to the fair's website.

ABC News' Karma Allen and Matt Foster contributed to this report.

Respected Contributor

Re: 1 dead, 7 injured after incident at Ohio State Fair

[ Edited ]

"What's this extra bolt in my pocket????" asks the carnie who assembled this ride

as he takes another pull on the ole Ripple ....

Honored Contributor

When I was little, my parents would not allow my sister or me to ride on any "pop up rides" at fairs, carnivals, etc.  I remember being so upset, thinking they were being over protective and telling them that all my friends were allowed to.  But stuff like this is precisely why they wouldn't let us.  They always said that we were only 30 minutes from Cedar Point, if we wanted to ride rides, that's where we would ride them. 

This is just awful.     

Frequent Contributor

Senseless. Sadly, there are very few states that require by law to have amusement rides to be inspected. Maryland is one that does so. This should be a law everywhere and ubsoections dine in a regular schedule. 

Frequent Contributor

That is, inspections done... sorry.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I thought I heard that the ride had been expected that morning.  I might trust the rides at state fairs a bit more than those in local carnivals.  However, I'm not much of a thrill ride person anyway.  Never was.

Contributor

That comment really lacks humor & sensitivity due to the severity of the accident.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how much thrill ride operators pay annually for liability insurance.  Must be a lot.  I can't imagine how they stay in business.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

I thought I heard that the ride had been expected that morning.  I might trust the rides at state fairs a bit more than those in local carnivals.  However, I'm not much of a thrill ride person anyway.  Never was.

Yes all the rides at the State Fair had been inspected.  Unfortunately there are equipment failures everyday, airplanes, trains, cars and fair rides.  A complete investigation is underway and will hopefully find the cause.  Pray for all involved.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

How awful...