Esteemed Contributor

1 Dead After Signal Cannon Blows.....

up at a.................baby shower.  The shower was held in a garage because of Covid I assume. The homeowner had gotten the cannon at an auction and had tried it before.

Well, this time the whole cannon blew up and sent shrapnel flying. A piece hit and  killed a 26 yr. old male standing nearby.

Come on people, I  know plain old baby showers (cake, gifts and dumb games) aren't exciting to watch, or put on social media, but everyone leaves alive.  

Honored Contributor

Re: 1 Dead After Signal Cannon Blows.....

How horrible

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

Proof Darwin never takes a day off.  These over the top baby reveals are just stupid.  And proof that in the wrong hands deadly.  Explosions do not belong at a baby shower.  Sorry for the guy who died but if anyone present there thought this was cute, smart, fun or any other adjective besides just plain dangerous, pretty much saw the reaction that was most likely going to happen.  I'm sure they didn't "plan" on it going wrong.  No one ever does, but a little more thought and less boom would have saved this poor guy.  Maybe just open an envelope next time with a note card and a pretty picture.  

Esteemed Contributor

@eadu4   I think lists for todays baby showers look like this,

plates, cups, cake, balloons, Instagram and Facebook, explosives.

Respected Contributor

Oh Dear Goodness! What a sin! I heard nothing about this tragedy. Where did this take place? @CrazyKittyLvr2 

These objects are better kept in historic museums or destroyed for everyone's safety.

Honored Contributor

So sad!

When I saw this on the news I thought--why dont ppl just get a cake to cut with the color in it or balloons?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Where on earth were their minds?

I have seen firings at a museum, but we were kept back and it was fully restored.

Trusted Contributor

This happened not far from me and is a very rural area. 

I can't believe that people continue to use explosives to celebrate anything period.  I wasn't completely surprised but blame celebrities for their social postings in regards to gender reveals.  It was completely sad that this had to happen but in all honesty can't say that I'm completely surprised anymore.

Honored Contributor

So sad.

1800's Signal Cannon - YouTube

Wonder what happened. Signal canons are small. They are generally used to signalcannon the start of a race.

I included a picture with a person to give a perspective of the size of a signal cannon.

Respected Contributor

I saw this on the news. Very sad and horrible, It does start to feel like people relish posting stories like this so they can say how stupid people are. It gets tiring. Yes people do stupid things but when someone is killed unintentionally I don't know why we need to state the obvious. These people lost a friend or relative someone they knew. I'm pretty sure they learned a very hard lesson.