Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,403
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

It seems he most likely learned his flying skills from a computer flying simulator, same as where many of the 911 terrorists honed their flying skills.  Among many other security changes, maybe they should take these simulators off the market.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,506
Registered: ‎06-16-2015

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

[ Edited ]

@Patbz wrote:

It seems he most likely learned his flying skills from a computer flying simulator, same as where many of the 911 terrorists honed their flying skills.  Among many other security changes, maybe they should take these simulators off the market.


What is perplexing is he was doing loops and flying upside down which according to ex pilots is not at all what this turbo prop plane should be able to do. Looks like he learned a lot about flying, except how to land it and how fast fuel is used up. He kept saying that he was light headed and not thinking straight. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,506
Registered: ‎06-16-2015

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker


@software wrote:

@RainyDayGirl wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@RainyDayGirl wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Wow...that story is so sad.

 

SO many facets to this story.

But the most important one, to me, is Suicide/Depression.

No one seems to be mentioning the reason why he did this. 

 

 


One of the articles did, and the recorded conversations between the control tower and the "pilots" alluded to that. He was an airport worker who got into an empty plane and somehow was able to take off. It's a miracle no other planes ended up involved either on the runway or in the air. The guy knew what he knew from video games. Can you believe it? Even more unbelievable is the fact that he could even do what he did with so called airport security.


@RainyDayGirl

I’ve seen a lot of interviews.

IMO.....it would be nice to have someone from a

Suicide Prevention Organization to come on to talk about the

reason why he did this.  The HOW he did this is important for

our safety, but it’s imperative we still talk about the reason why.


What makes you think that SPO would know why this particular man chose to do this, unless he left his written plan?I think the man himself already answered the question. He said he had a screw loose. Knowing the exact detail of everything in his life now is not going to change things. Dead is dead. People do suicidal things all the time, and each one is a separate case. The point is he should NEVER have been able to take a Horizon plane and become airborn in the first place. They need to review every detail of how this transpired and make sure the circumstances are never right for this to happen again.  Many others could have succumbed as well. Sea Tac Airport has some explaining to do.


 

 

Exactly!

I heard some interviews this morning with officials and they don't seem concerned.

It's done, over, move along. Nothing to see.

 

 


Depends on who is being interviewed. I heard one tonight who said Sea TAC was going to have to make some big changes in procedures and attitudes when it comes to ground crews. They don't even lock the empty planes now. I'll bet that changes. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,256
Registered: ‎04-01-2010

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

I watched the news all night from his beginning flight to the end and I know the Sheriff's dept kept saying suicidal but I heard the conversations and he did not sound depressed. He was joking with the tower and seemed very calm.  Something went wrong for him yesterday as he commented he just found out today he has a screw loose, I don't think this was pre-planned but spur of the moment.  In his conversation with the tower, he also mentioned he hoped for a soft landing and did they think Alaska might hire him as a pilot if he landed safely? so he was joking and very calm.  He also mentioned he probably would go to jail for a long time for what he did taking the plane.  I would think if you were planning to take your life you would talk different and show some kind of remorse and depression with ending your life.  I know he apologized to his family but I think it was for taking the plane and causing them embarrassment.   I don't think they will ever know for sure why he did it,  and its possible he just ran out of gas and the plane just came down. He did not know how to pressurize the cabin and he said he felt light-headed and had vomited all over. I wondered why someone didn't tell him how to do that.  I personally think he passed out and crashed. For those of us watching him, he was flying that plane pretty good for someone with no flight experience. I didn't know a commercial plan could do barrel rolls and fly upside down.  I don't think he crashed on purpose.   I feel so sad for the family what a terrible ordeal this has been for them I hope God gives them all the comfort and peace they need right now.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎06-11-2018

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker


@Silkeej wrote:

I watched the news all night from his beginning flight to the end and I know the Sheriff's dept kept saying suicidal but I heard the conversations and he did not sound depressed. He was joking with the tower and seemed very calm.  Something went wrong for him yesterday as he commented he just found out today he has a screw loose, I don't think this was pre-planned but spur of the moment.  In his conversation with the tower, he also mentioned he hoped for a soft landing and did they think Alaska might hire him as a pilot if he landed safely? so he was joking and very calm.  He also mentioned he probably would go to jail for a long time for what he did taking the plane.  I would think if you were planning to take your life you would talk different and show some kind of remorse and depression with ending your life.  I know he apologized to his family but I think it was for taking the plane and causing them embarrassment.   I don't think they will ever know for sure why he did it,  and its possible he just ran out of gas and the plane just came down. He did not know how to pressurize the cabin and he said he felt light-headed and had vomited all over. I wondered why someone didn't tell him how to do that.  I personally think he passed out and crashed. For those of us watching him, he was flying that plane pretty good for someone with no flight experience. I didn't know a commercial plan could do barrel rolls and fly upside down.  I don't think he crashed on purpose.   I feel so sad for the family what a terrible ordeal this has been for them I hope God gives them all the comfort and peace they need right now.


 

 

 

Good post Silkeej, I totally agree with you.

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

@valkry@Silkeej

I totally agree.

After listening to the transmissions, it really didn’t sound like a

suicide mission. Many of his phrases could be viewed two

different ways.  His happiness & jovial manner is confusing

for those of us on the outside looking in but maybe his family

can give us a better understanding, if they choose to talk.

 

It was as if he had his Bucket List And was checking stuff off

as they happened.  It was touching when he commented on the

mountains & he was ‘peachy’.  Whether it was intended

or an accident, he was Living Life Large/YOLO. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

Now comes the uncomfortable talk.

Who pays for this?

 

Twitter says that particular airplane, new, costs $32.2Million.

If an airplane is destroyed by weather or nefarious means (9/11),

the cost would be absorbed by the airlines, customers, etc.

 

But in this case?

Would the airport be liable?  

The victim’s work union?

The airline?  

Could his family be liable, on a smaller scale?

Unfortunately, no one will automatically write a check for $32Million

to replace the crashed airplane.  And it being a smaller airline,

this could bankrupt them. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,578
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

I really have gave it no thought on WHO PAYS, i am thinking what happened to make him do this? Such a young man.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 22,219
Registered: ‎05-10-2010

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

You seem to be looking for soap opera?  We know why he did it, unlike in most suicides, we hear it from the man in his own words, moments before he ended his life.  He had some type of psychiatric illness.  Perhaps it was depression, perhaps it was some other mental illnesses.   I don't think the public needs to know more than that.  I'm thankful to him that he took pains not to kill others, he wasn't trying to make a statement.  I'm sorry he didn't get the help he needed.  I think he was a good person.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,415
Registered: ‎11-25-2011

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker


@Chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sorry he didn't get the help he needed. 

I think he was a good person.


@Chrystaltree

I totally agree.