Trusted Contributor

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

Don't think this will be an issue all Airlines have insurance and so I don't think the family would have to pay and Alaska will just get another plane.  Alaska is a large company with many employees.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

This entire story was very upsetting to me, no matter what story is projected I think this was a big security breach of some kind.  How was he not missed that he could even take the plan.  So are the cockpits not locked when the plan is not scheduled to fly. 

I might not understand the process of planes but it also enforces to me that a lot of THINGS are out of MY CONTROL.  I won't make this a religious thread but "HE" watches over me daily and i'm more confident of that every day. 

Because of the type of job he had, he had clearance to be in that area where the plane was.

Planes are not locked, and do not have keys like cars to start them.

For someone in his position who is cleared to be in that area, it would be simple to get access to the plane.

During the audio, he is heard telling the control tower that he "doesn't need a lot of help" flying because he's played "video games."

I'm assuming he's done some sort of flight simulation games, maybe he had a few lessons at one time, maybe he knows pilots who have talked to him about how to fly.

It will be interesting to see what actions are taken by the airline and airport security to minimize the risk of this happening again.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

One sad part to this story is the rush to try and fix blame on someone at the airport or lack of security, etc. Sounds like the person responsible was the man who stole the plane. He worked at the airport and had full access to the areas where the plane was...so no one is at fault for his getting to the plane and flying it. A very sad story all the way around, but putting the blame on someone else would be unfair, and it wouldn't change the outcome of this unfortunate event. My heart goes out to his family.