Honored Contributor

Re: ✈️Washington Airline Worker

I feel sorry for this man.  Whether he was suicidal or just plain oblivious to the consequences of his actions are not issues for me.

What is an issue is that he managed to get this plane off the ground-the lack of security is appalling.

May he rest in peace and may his loved ones find some solace in the days ahead.

I hope the media hounds leave them alone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

It's amazing that he was able to get the plane into the air with little to no flying experience.  SeaTac Airport is surrounded by heavily populated areas & it could've been catastrophic if he hadn't gotten it into the air & crashed on takeoff or if he'd turned north instead of flying south of the airport.

Honored Contributor

Another note:

He used a ‘pushback tug’ to rotate the airplane 180degrees.

(smaller white truck)

I would assume all those outside jobs are specialized w/

dedicated training...if so, wonder how he knew to connect &

operate the pushback tug to rotate the airplane since he was

a baggage handler. 

Seems like all this would take some detailed planning to pull it off.

Wonder if anyone knew beforehand?

7CA9E593-C347-4B01-B8BA-8C972160C89E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The picture that @sidsmom posted of him holding the two pups in their carriers just broke my heart. He seems like a young, good looking, happy guy. He had a family who loved him. But isn't that the case a lot with those who are mentally ill? I remember around the time Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain took their lives, a poster here posted the perfect response - something about those hurting feel an almost out-of-body feeling. They don't think about anything else or anyone who loves them. I wish I'd kept the post. We're seeing so much of this. I just found out the other day that this past year 12 graduates of our local high school have taken their lives. I know DS told me about two. I didn't know them; he did, but not that well. 

His flying this plane did remind me of the 9/11 terrorists, who took lessons in "flying," but didn't want to learn how to take off and land. In this case, this young guy had some talent. If things were different maybe he could have gone to flight school. But who knows what his records say and if he could have gotten in. 

My thoughts are with his wife and the rest of his family. So tragic. 

Contributor

I don't think we'll ever know exactly why he did this. It will be a mystery. jmho

Esteemed Contributor

An employee of Horizon steals a 32 million dollar plane and  flies it over the Pacific Northwest is a scary prospect! People on the ground are lucky he didn't kill anyone else but himself. I'm sure that there will be a lot of procedures looked at so this can't happen again.

Regular Contributor

This is story is so tragic and heartbreaking.  The very fact that a person is that despondent, and takes their own life, is all the more reason for all of us to be more aware of the often subtle changes that indicate a suicide is imminent. Sometimes I wonder that in their pain and confusion, do they not remember how final the action is, and how much they affect all of those left behind? 

Honored Contributor

Have they released the entire transcript? The part(s) I heard he is sort of rambling about lots of things. Wants to go see mama orca and her babies (?), see the mountains. Seems to be too scared to land in the water (and a little distrust for the ATC guiding him thru it). I've read where he says he has a screw loose or something to that effect....is that considered the suicidal part? It almost seems like he took the plane and then got scared of the enormity of what he's done. Coupled with the fact he's not in control if the plane and fearing he's running out if fuel, plus getting lightheaded, it's almost like the crash was accidental. Then again, i haven't heard all the convo and what all was said.
Trusted Contributor

This entire story was very upsetting to me, no matter what story is projected I think this was a big security breach of some kind.  How was he not missed that he could even take the plan.  So are the cockpits not locked when the plan is not scheduled to fly. 

I might not understand the process of planes but it also enforces to me that a lot of THINGS are out of MY CONTROL.  I won't make this a religious thread but "HE" watches over me daily and i'm more confident of that every day. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also what bothers me is he was so young,and turns out so  good at flying, just a shame.Lucky he did not want to kill others,and a terrorist did not do this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.