Esteemed Contributor

Re: ☀️To those who are sad during the holiday season☀️

The holidays ARE difficult, probably for more people than we know. There's the element of Christmas past and the people who are no longer with us. There is also the financial element for those who go in debt to make the holiday special for those around them. Finally, there the sadness we feel when those of our own generation are ill with life altering or life threatening situations. It can be the best of times and the worst of times, and unfortunately, we have three hollidays in a row which compound things. It's important to try to be  festive and social no matter how unhappy you may feel. Being around other people can change your perspective.

Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I'm very sad this Christmas. It will be my Mom's last Christmas. I didn't want to put up any decorations but I did it for her. Just very downscaled. Bought a new small tree, 5 ft, that's all gold accents and very glittery. No ornaments needed. My Mom only likes traditional trees but she loves this tree. So that makes me happy. Bought her a few gifts and bought a few gifts for me. I wasn't going to buy for me but then I accepted that I deserve them.

I'm sad because of my messed up siblings. But I can't change them, unfortunately. Just how I react to them.

Anyone who feels the need, don't hesitate to call a help and support hotline. Suicide hotlines aren't just for someone who is really going to do that. Honestly I called one night a few weeks ago and talked to a great guy who really helped me when I needed someone to talk to. 

Greeneyed lady, Your post has really struck me very hard and the tears are falling. I can relate to you in so many ways, as I have lost my mother, and with that being emotional enough, here is Christmas and it takes so much emotional effort what you are doing with the tree and presents. I do not know you, but you have really struck my heart. Just know a friend in Alabama will be putting you in my prayers for strength and courage and to get you thru this difficult time. God love you and many blessings.

bamasec

Regular Contributor

Spoiler
I lost my husband less than 3 years ago and my daughter this pass August 28th., less than 3 months ago. Sometime I think I cannot take it another day. There are no words to express how I feel. 
Valued Contributor

What makes people saddest is the notion that everyone else is having a wonderful, perfect Christmas.  There's so much build-up to it.  That's good because it helps the struggling retail industry.  However, Christmas has never been particularly thrilling for me.  The reailty rarely lives up to the extreme hype. 

Respected Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

What makes people saddest is the notion that everyone else is having a wonderful, perfect Christmas.  There's so much build-up to it.  That's good because it helps the struggling retail industry.  However, Christmas has never been particularly thrilling for me.  The reailty rarely lives up to the extreme hype. 

I totally agree. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

I'm with Charlie Brown.

Thanks for posting, dooB.

I wish you a peaceful holiday.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thank you so much for posting this.  

I used to get very excited during the holiday season, first with Thanksgiving and continuing on to Christmas.

But in recent years, some sad things have happened around holiday time, and so now I approach it with a bit of anxiety.

I think compounding this is the constant barrage of commercials and movies, showing us how we are "supposed" to be at Christmas.  That Hallmark outlook is not reality for a lot of people.

Of course, I don't let it show.  I try to get into the spirit and do things that make me happy, like baking and watching my favorite movies.

I have a lot to be thankful for, and I focus on that.  I also think that doing things to help others helps me to forget any of my own sadness and get joy from giving.

To anyone who is feeling sad at this time of year, I just repeat what's already been said:  others are feeling the same, and are thinking of you,too.  You're not alone.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Stardust2 wrote:
Spoiler
I lost my husband less than 3 years ago and my daughter this pass August 28th., less than 3 months ago. Sometime I think I cannot take it another day. There are no words to express how I feel. 

@Stardust2- I am so sorry.  Sending my deepest condolences to you. 

I’m so glad you decided to post here. When I lost my mom in 2011 and my dad last year, I took great comfort from posting here. People were very kind to me. Please continue to post if you feel like it. We care. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo my friend I am just catching up to your wonderful thread just now.  Thank you as always for looking out for others at a time where many may need a helping hand, we can always count on you for that.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you, yours and everyone on this thread and may the season be gentle and kind to one and all.  Heart

((((dooBdoo)))

Respected Contributor

@Stardust2

HeartHeartHeart