Honored Contributor

☀️To those who are sad during the holiday season☀️

[ Edited ]

I posted this last year, and with all the emphasis on the holidays and all the exquisitely joyful and also exquisitely painful emotions evoked, I wanted to share the excerpt again.    This year will be another difficult one for me and I know for many of you, too...   a member of our family won't be with us for the first time this year, and a dear friend also passed away.    When I was 17 my beloved father died at Thanksgiving...  lessons learned then, about celebrating the lives of those who have slipped the bounds of earth, about making new memories to carry forward, and about concentrating on gratitude for even the tiniest blessings we have...   these have been helpful and healing over the years, each time I said "farewell" to so many I love.   But, still, that empty feeling shows up at times, especially in the quiet stillness of the night.   

We never know what might help others to sort things out...   my hope is that this might be useful and might touch your heart, you who are reading this and know how I feel.   From my heart to yours.❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Those Who Find Themselves Hurting This Holiday Season

“'I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus.

Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy. I don’t feel

the way I’m supposed to feel.   I just don’t understand

Christmas, I guess.   I like getting presents, and sending

Christmas cards, and decorating trees and all that.

But I’m still not happy.   I always end up feeling

depressed.'  — Charlie Brown

To those who find themselves hurting amongst a sea of smiles this holiday season:  you are not alone.

To those who are reminded of loved ones missing, families broken, happier pasts than presents:  you are not alone.

To those who hate memories because they only seem to make you sad, never happy:  you are not alone.

To those who look at everyone in the holiday spirit, smiling with cheer, and can’t feel that way:  you are not alone.   To those who feel even worse because you can’t feel that way:  you are not alone.

To those who desperately want to enjoy time with family and friends but at the same time want nothing more than to be alone, the thought of groups and celebrations and interactions terrifying you:  you are not alone.

To those who want to leave, who feel like they’re hurting the ones around them this holiday season, like people’s lives would be easier without them:  you, you are not alone.

To you: know that your pain is real but that you are not alone in your aches.   That others share these pains and that others want to help you in yours.   Know it’s OK to be sad, even on Christmas ....

... You are alive and breathing, and that is worth celebrating in itself.   It is OK not to smile as much as the families in the commercials, to have less cheer than the movies, to be in more pain than the storybooks.

If you are surrounded by people these next few weeks but are still hurting: please talk.   Talk to the people around you and invite them into your pain, to walk with you.   Let them help you carry the things you’re carrying.   Let them love you.

If you’re alone these next few weeks: know that you aren’t, not really.   Even if you aren’t physically surrounded by as many people as you want, you aren’t alone.   You are valued and loved, even when you don’t feel it.

Hang on to that truth: you are always valued, you are always loved.  

If you’re not hurting and not alone the next few weeks:  don’t assume everyone is sharing your joy.   Don’t assume it’s the hap-happiest time of the year. Invite people in you normally wouldn’t.   Ask more genuine questions, have more honest conversations.   Value the people around you enough to ask about the ways they’re hurting.  

Listen well, love well.

And regardless of your situation: lean in.   To relationships, to other people.   Link arms and hearts with those around you and recognize that we’re all in this together.  

We’re all living, breathing, sometimes gasping for air.   Some of us are doing well today, some of us aren’t. 

Remember:   life is both heavy and light, and we need both.   Remembering the heavy days during the light ones gives us compassion; remembering the light days during the heavy ones gives us hope.

Let’s remind each other of both.
Let’s grow more compassionate together.
Let’s hope together.
Let’s live together.

Have a hopeful Christmas."

(article originally published on 12/21/16,

written by Robert Vore)

Article at:  TheMighty.com

❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: ☀️To those who are sad during the holiday season☀️

Christmas Hope

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Very nice of you to post this.  I was feeling so bad today.  Miss my DH.  My kids are great, but they are busy with Christmas activities of their own this weekend, but will be here on Christmas.  I see them often.  I don't have any siblings and aunts and uncles, etc. have all passed on as well as my parents.  The neighbors I am friends with have their spouses and are retired (as am I) and they are able to be together, travel, etc.  I live alone except for my precious dog.  I have my cards finished (my list is so small now), and I have trees and decorating finished.  Trying to keep busy.   I hope all that are alone and lonely read your post.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

This is great post @dooBdoo.  Very thought invoking.  We've had family changes and will have a new experience this year.  I am at peace with it and plan to keep the rest of the family upbeat.  Hope you have a pleasant holiday season.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't say I am sad or depressed, I just know not to expect anything because there won't be anything! 

Enjoy the Christmas music and remember, "This too shall pass!"

Frequent Contributor

Holidays have been difficult for me since my mother’s death in 1972, then my father in 1978, then my only sister in 2004.   In October my loved dog died.  No family in the area, Christmas is a lonely day.  Always happy when it’s over.  😥💔

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I posted this last year, and with all the emphasis on the holidays and all the exquisitely joyful and also exquisitely painful emotions evoked, I wanted to share the excerpt again.    This year will be another difficult one for me and I know for many of you, too...   a member of our family won't be with us for the first time this year, and a dear friend also passed away.    When I was 17 my beloved father died at Thanksgiving...  lessons learned then, about celebrating the lives of those who have slipped the bounds of earth, about making new memories to carry forward, and about concentrating on gratitude for even the tiniest blessings we have,  are helpful and healing.   But, still, that empty feeling shows up at times, especially in the quiet stillness of the night.   

We never know what might help others to sort things out...   my hope is that this might be useful and might touch your heart, you who are reading this and know how I feel.   From my heart to yours.❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Those Who Find Themselves Hurting This Holiday Season

“'I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus.

Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy. I don’t feel

the way I’m supposed to feel.   I just don’t understand

Christmas, I guess.   I like getting presents, and sending

Christmas cards, and decorating trees and all that.

But I’m still not happy.   I always end up feeling

depressed.'  — Charlie Brown

To those who find themselves hurting amongst a sea of smiles this holiday season:  you are not alone.

To those who are reminded of loved ones missing, families broken, happier pasts than presents:  you are not alone.

To those who hate memories because they only seem to make you sad, never happy:  you are not alone.

To those who look at everyone in the holiday spirit, smiling with cheer, and can’t feel that way:  you are not alone.   To those who feel even worse because you can’t feel that way:  you are not alone.

To those who desperately want to enjoy time with family and friends but at the same time want nothing more than to be alone, the thought of groups and celebrations and interactions terrifying you:  you are not alone.

To those who want to leave, who feel like they’re hurting the ones around them this holiday season, like people’s lives would be easier without them:  you, you are not alone.

To you: know that your pain is real but that you are not alone in your aches.   That others share these pains and that others want to help you in yours.   Know it’s OK to be sad, even on Christmas ....

... You are alive and breathing, and that is worth celebrating in itself.   It is OK not to smile as much as the families in the commercials, to have less cheer than the movies, to be in more pain than the storybooks.

If you are surrounded by people these next few weeks but are still hurting: please talk.   Talk to the people around you and invite them into your pain, to walk with you.   Let them help you carry the things you’re carrying.   Let them love you.

If you’re alone these next few weeks: know that you aren’t, not really.   Even if you aren’t physically surrounded by as many people as you want, you aren’t alone.   You are valued and loved, even when you don’t feel it.

Hang on to that truth: you are always valued, you are always loved.  

If you’re not hurting and not alone the next few weeks:  don’t assume everyone is sharing your joy.   Don’t assume it’s the hap-happiest time of the year. Invite people in you normally wouldn’t.   Ask more genuine questions, have more honest conversations.   Value the people around you enough to ask about the ways they’re hurting.  

Listen well, love well.

And regardless of your situation: lean in.   To relationships, to other people.   Link arms and hearts with those around you and recognize that we’re all in this together.  

We’re all living, breathing, sometimes gasping for air.   Some of us are doing well today, some of us aren’t. 

Remember:   life is both heavy and light, and we need both.   Remembering the heavy days during the light ones gives us compassion; remembering the light days during the heavy ones gives us hope.

Let’s remind each other of both.
Let’s grow more compassionate together.
Let’s hope together.
Let’s live together.

Have a hopeful Christmas."

(12/21/16, Robert Vore)

Article at:  TheMighty.com

❤️

@dooBdoo, thank you, I was so depressed by some of the responses in another post, your kindness is comforting.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

If you are really down, please see your doctor for help.  We want you around for next Christmas.  Remember the important thing, it's the birth of Christ that we celebrate Christmas.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thank you for this post

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

If you are really down, please see your doctor for help.  We want you around for next Christmas.  Remember the important thing, it's the birth of Christ that we celebrate Christmas.

A good reminder that there is help, and we don't have to feel alone in our sadness.   Depression is real, it's painful, and it can be life-threatening.   I know this...  much too well.💔   This is posted at the end of the article in my original post:

If you or someone you know needs help, visit

our suicide prevention resources page.

If you need support right now, call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255