Super Contributor

Re: ⭐️The Path of the Warrior - Memorial Day Tribute

@MaggieMack wrote:

image.jpeg

Perspective. God rest their souls who fought for our freedom.

Oh my my so heartbreaking @MaggieMack.

Super Contributor

THE POPPY STORY

"From the battlefields of World War I, weary soldiers brought home the memory of a barren landscape transformed by wild poppies, red as the blood that had soaked the soil. By that miracle of nature, the spirit of their lost comrades lived on.

The poppy became a symbol of the sacrifice of lives in war and represented the hope that none had died in vain. The American Legion Auxiliary poppy has continued to bloom for the casualties of four wars, its petals of paper bound together for veterans by veterans, reminding America each year that the men and women who have served and died for their country deserve to be remembered.

The poppy, as a memorial flower to the war dead, can be traced to a single individual, Moina Michael. She was so moved by Lt. Col. McCrae’s poem, “In Flanders Fields,” that she wrote a response:

'…the blood of heroes never dies

But lends a luster to the red

Of the flower that blooms above the dead

In Flanders’ Fields.'

On impulse, she bought a bouquet of poppies - all that New York City’s Wanamaker’s Department Store had - and handed them to businessmen meeting at the New York YMCA where she worked.

She asked them to wear the poppy as a tribute to the fallen. That was November 1918. World War I was over, but America’s sons would rest forever “in Flanders’ Fields.” Later she would spearhead a campaign that would result in the adoption of the poppy as the national symbol of sacrifice." http://charlestonexpress.com/news/poppy-story.html-0?m

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor

I miss my bro, a Marine....he died in October 2009......I only cry when I see these tributes......

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

@MickD wrote:

I miss my bro, a Marine....he died in October 2009......I only cry when I see these tributes......

Hugs❤️  @MickD

Honored Contributor

@cecesnana - thank you. I really try not to think about it.....he was just a wonderful person....died too young...strong, handsome, and kind.....the best in the family for sure.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@cecesnana - thank you. I really try not to think about it.....he was just a wonderful person....died too young...strong, handsome, and kind.....the best in the family for sure.

So sorry.  Please accept my condolences from my heart @MickD❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I know you meant well in your post.  However the use of the word 'warrior' is so wrongly used.  We train men into being soldiers, not warriors who have to be savage and brutal constantly on a hunt or kill.  My take.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Warrior

noun 1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.

www.dictionary.com

Esteemed Contributor

From Merriam-Webster definition of "warrior":

"A person who fights in wars or battles and is known for having courage and skills."

I am OK with having our soldiers referred to as warriors.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop