Respected Contributor

Re: ☕️Starbucks Sued Because Iced Coffee Has Ice In It

Isn't ice just frozen liquid?  

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I totally agree that customers are often ripped off when ordering iced drinks.  It depends on how the business handles requests for less ice, as far as whether it might be lawsuit-worthy.

I have seen people say that at Starbucks all you have to do is ask them to put in less ice and they will, no problem. If this is true *universally* at Starbucks, no problem and IMO no basis for a lawsuit. But if it's a corporate-wide, or even store-wide decision to NOT honor that request, i.e. to knowingly give customers less coffee than they are paying for, then IMO there is a point to the lawsuit.

When I requested less ice in my iced coffee at McDonald's, they refused me and said they were instructed they HAD to make them with a certain ice-to-liquid ratio in the cup and *could not* give me less ice.

If a company advertises a drink at 20 oz for example, and the empty cup holds 20 oz, but the customer is given 14 oz of drink after asking for less ice,and the rest of the cup is ice, the customer IS getting ripped off and hurrah to someone who says so.

McDonalds is generous with free refills though-- I don't generally sit in the 'restaurant' though so I'll sip it down and ask for it to be topped off. Last summer I think it was $1 for an iced coffee!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't believe starbucks will give you more coffee if you ask for less ice.  They fill the cup to a certain line and that's it.  Next time I go, I'll ask.

Starbucks does refills on plain coffee hot/cold, if you have their rewards card.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I don't believe starbucks will give you more coffee if you ask for less ice.  They fill the cup to a certain line and that's it.  Next time I go, I'll ask.

Starbucks does refills on plain coffee hot/cold, if you have their rewards card.

I didn't think they gave less ice when asked either, just like McDonald's doesn't.

Although one may be able to get a refill or more coffee at either place, a very large number of customers (probably the majority) either use a drive-up window (in the case of McDonald's) or buy & leave, on foot or in their car, on the way to work, so don't have the option of topping off or getting a refill. 

If Starbucks posted signs that said "BTW, your 22 oz iced coffee drink will only contain 16 oz of undiluted coffee" they are covered. Or if they sold the coffee as a 16 oz portion - but they don't, as far as I know. All drinks everywhere are sold as the max size of the cup, not how much liquid is actually in it.

The fast food places who just hand you the empty cup are doing it right.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The ice in the glass strategy has been going on for years and years in restaurants. I worked at a famous restaurant near the New Jersey shore and they were supposed to have huge cocktails served in a glass pitcher well it was all ice the customers thought they were getting a lot of drink for a good price. It was a sales gimmick. And the restaurant made a fortune doing this.

Honored Contributor

Why does no one ever mention that it takes energy (and therefore costs more) to create (and store) ice? 

There was an amusing little subplot on Chicago Fire last night about the firefighter owners of Molly's being convinced to buy a cut-rate machine that made special, extra-large, super clear ice cubes.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

ce.I don't believe starbucks will give you more coffee if you ask for less i  They fill the cup to a certain line and that's it.  Next time I go, I'll ask.

I always say light ice now because a few times most of the cup was ice and almost no coffee in the Venti size. It's a frequent request I have been told but sometimes if I ask, I will get "the look." LOL

Respected Contributor

I know that when I get an iced lemonade at Starbucks that it is mainly ice.  After a couple of sips, it's gone.  NOW I ask for a little ice and they oblige.

Honored Contributor

The person with the suit reminds me somewhat of the thread with what the court recorder had to take down!

Respected Contributor

make your own iced coffee.