::

"From checking off school supply lists

to shopping for back-to-school wardrobes,

preparing for your child's return to the classroom

can quickly become expensive.

Seventeen states set aside tax-free shopping

"holidays" in preparation for back-to-school:

a week or a weekend when school supplies,

clothing, shoes and other necessities are tax exempt.

Check TODAY.com's list of tax-free shopping dates to see if and when there are deals to be had in your area" at this link:

http://www.today.com/parents/see-if-your-state-has-tax-holiday-back-school-shopping-t100776?cid=eml_...

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Re: 💰TAX-FREE HOLIDAYS💰

[ Edited ]

Here are the states.

At the link in the OP
it tells you even more about each one.

Alabama:

Certain school supplies, computers and clothing may be purchased tax free between August 5, 2016 and August 7, 2016. For more information, visit the Alabama Department of Revenue website.

Arkansas:

State and local sales tax will not be charged on certain school supplies, school art supplies, school instructional materials and clothing from August 6, 2016 through August 7, 2016. Visit the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration website for details.

Connecticut:

Clothing and footwear costing less than $100 are exempt from taxes for one week, from August 21, 2016 through August 27, 2016. For a complete listing of eligible items, visit the Colorado Department of Revenue Services website.

Florida:

From August 5, 2016 through August 7, 2016, clothing, footwear and certain accessories selling for less than $60 will be free of sales tax. Specific school supplies costing less than $15 are also tax-free during this period. Details are available on the Florida Department of Revenue website.

Georgia:

Certain clothing, school supplies and computers will not be taxed on July 30, 2016 and July 31, 2016. For a detailed listing of eligible items, visit the Georgia Department of Revenue website.

Iowa:

Select clothing and footwear are tax-free on August 5, 2016 and August 6, 2016. For complete information, visit the Iowa Department of Revenue website.

Louisiana:

From August 5, 2016 through August 6, 2016, Louisiana offers an exemption from state sales tax for personal property items costing less than $2,500. Visit the Louisiana Department of Revenue websitefor full information.

Maryland:

During the week of August 14, 2016 through August 20, 2016, qualifying clothing and footwear items costing $100 or less are tax-free. For additional information, visit the Comptroller of Maryland website.

Mississippi:

Clothing, footwear and accessories priced at $100 or less are tax exempt from July 29, 2016 through July 30, 2016. A listing of all eligible and non-eligible items can be found on the Mississippi Department of Revenue website.

Missouri:

From August 5, 2016 through August 7, 2016, certain back-to-school purchases, such as clothing, school supplies and computers, are tax-exempt. For detailed information, visit the Missouri Department of Revenue website.

New Mexico:

Clothing, computers, school supplies, and other back-to-school items are tax-free from August 5, 2016 through August 7, 2016. Complete details are available on the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department website.

Ohio:

From August 5, 2016 through August 7, 2016, clothing priced at $75 or less and school supplies and instructional materials priced at $20 or less per item are tax-free. A full listing of excluded items and further information can be found on the Ohio Department of Taxation website.

Oklahoma:

Clothing and shoes priced at less than $100 are tax-free from August 5, 2016 until August 7, 2016. Visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission website for complete details.

South Carolina:

From August 5, 2016 through August 7, 2016, sales tax will not be imposed upon back-to-school items such as clothing, accessories, school supplies, and computers. For a complete listing of tax-exempt items, visit the South Carolina Department of Revenue website.

Tennessee:

Clothing, school supplies and computers are tax-free from July 29, 2016 through July 31, 2016. For an alphabetical listing of eligible and non-eligible items and further information, visit the Tennessee Department of Revenue website.

Texas:

Most school supplies, clothing, backpacks and shoes purchased between August 5, 2016 and August 7, 2016 will be tax exempt. For additional details, visit the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website.

Virginia:

Qualifying purchases, including school supplies, footwear and clothing, made between August 5, 2016 and August 7, 2016 will not be taxed. Retailers are also permitted to make other items "tax free" by paying the taxes themselves. Additional information is available on the Virginia Department of Taxation website.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good time to buy a computer!!!!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The list is incomplete, my state has a tax free weekend.  I believe it's in August.  We have a 5% sales tax, so you can really save a bundle.  Although the tax doesn't apply to clothing, so no savings there. 

Esteemed Contributor

In South Carolina, our "tax free" weekend includes the following:

1)  Clothing

2)  Clothing Accessories including but not limited to hats, scarves, hosiery and handbags

3)  Footwear

4)  School supplies including: pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes and calculators.

5) Computers, printers and printer supplies and also computer software.

6)  Bath wash cloths, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs and mats, pillows and pillow cases.

Honored Contributor

I remember the first year we did this in Texas and my son and I were through with all shopping then onto our yearly Ken's Pizza back to school lunch.  The only problem we had was I wanted to return something that day at Dillard's and it did not dawn on me the computers were set to no tax.  We had to go up to their office to get the credit to my card for the item.  No big deal but when you live out in the country you just try to do all in one trip and I had not thought about return tax $$ for that first year.   Now I do.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

The list is incomplete, my state has a tax free weekend.  I believe it's in August.  We have a 5% sales tax, so you can really save a bundle.  Although the tax doesn't apply to clothing, so no savings there. 

@chrystaltree

I don't know your state but so far I can't
find any other official list that's different.

Another example:

"Tax Free Weekend 2016 Sales Tax Holiday"

https://www.freetaxweekend.com/

which adds Massachusetts as TBA
but this says Massachusetts won't
have one this year:

"No tax free holiday this year in Massachusetts"

http://wwlp.com/2016/07/18/no-tax-free-holiday-this-year-in-massachusetts/

It looks like the list is complete.

Do you have a different list that corrects 

the one I posted? I don't want to share bad info.

tia!

😊

Respected Contributor

@minnietwinnie wrote:

Good time to buy a computer!!!!! Smiley Happy

@minnietwinnie

Yes it would be!

😊

Respected Contributor

@shell garden wrote:

In South Carolina, our "tax free" weekend includes the following:

1)  Clothing

2)  Clothing Accessories including but not limited to hats, scarves, hosiery and handbags

3)  Footwear

4)  School supplies including: pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks, books, bookbags, lunchboxes and calculators.

5) Computers, printers and printer supplies and also computer software.

6)  Bath wash cloths, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs and mats, pillows and pillow cases.

@shell garden

thanks!

😊

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I remember the first year we did this in Texas and my son and I were through with all shopping then onto our yearly Ken's Pizza back to school lunch.  The only problem we had was I wanted to return something that day at Dillard's and it did not dawn on me the computers were set to no tax.  We had to go up to their office to get the credit to my card for the item.  No big deal but when you live out in the country you just try to do all in one trip and I had not thought about return tax $$ for that first year.   Now I do.

@beckyb1012

Very good point! Thanks!

😊