Super Contributor

❤️NATIONAL NURSES WEEK — THANK YOU!

[ Edited ]

I have great respect for nurses. Very hard job and not always recognized or thanked for their work.

Thank you to all nurses.

"National Nurses Week begins each year on May 6th and ends on May 12th, Florence Nightingale's birthday. It features a host of events across the U.S. to honor nurses for the work they do, and educates the public about nurses’ role in health care."

(nursingworld.org/education-events/national-nurses-week/) 

c&p this link to read more and see details of this event recognizing the nursing profession, also Easy Spirit partnering with the American Nurses Association, sweepstakes and special discount on shoe purchase:

nursingworld.org/education-events/national-nurses-week/

Honored Contributor

Re: ❤️NATIONAL NURSES WEEK — THANK YOU!

We have two nurses in our family,

https://wcdn.humanity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/1_4.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter is a nurse.  Received a BSN and went to a prestigous University hospital right out of college.  She has been there in their SICU for 34 years.  She is also an RN, a CCRN and on the rapid response team.  She is an expert witness in court cases and an author in some of the University's publications.  She is also Mother to 3, all college graduates.

Sound like I'm bragging?  Yeah, sorry, I am.......I'm proud of her Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

About midway through my career as a nurse men started to become prominent in nursing. At that time I said it would be good to have men in our profession. Men look at their job as what they are going to do forever, and so they make changes to improve it. Women tend to think of their job as something temporary as they don't plan to continue working full time after they have kids. I see positive changes happening in nursing and it really makes me smile. For one thing - in most states when a patient assults a nurse who is caring for them they are now held responsible same as if they did that anywhere else.IT IS NOT OK TO BEAT, KICK OR SPIT ON NURSES. But people do it all the time. Now nurses have the right to bring charges. I once got 3 broken ribs from a patient in DTs who kicked me in the chest. Of course nothing happened to him and it was just considered unfortunate for me.I still had to work every day on "light duty" with my chest binder on despite that I was in terrible pain. Thank goodness for this positive change - now people may think again before physically lashing out at nurses.

Honored Contributor

@charvale, thank you for recognizing and appreciating what nurses do. I was proud to be a nurse for 40 years. 

Honored Contributor

My DIL is a RN on her third week of maternity leave but I told her she is appreciated even if not on the floor for awhile.  Just walking a different floor.  Happy Nurses Week to all the fine ladies and gentlemen who care for us with their skills and their hearts.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My husband is an RN, several of my friend's are RN's and I work closely with RN's so I have a world of appreciation for what they do and how they do it.  It takes a special person to be nurse.  

Honored Contributor

I sometimes appreciate the nurses moreso than the doctors.  I haven't been in the hospital for anything other than baby deliveries but my mother was and my husband has so I've been in situations where I've had to discuss quite a bit with them.  Sometimes I was told that they couldn't talk to right then but as soon as they had a minute they would.  When you're stressful about your loved one that just had surgery, you might need to talk to someone before the doctor came for rounds.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Contributor

Thank you for the kind words. I have been an RN for 38 years. Could not dream of doing anything else! Difficult job but very rewarding at the same time. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@charvale, thank you for recognizing and appreciating what nurses do. I was proud to be a nurse for 40 years. 

@RetRN In my opinion, you're more important then the doctors.