Honored Contributor

Re: ❤️Memorial Day Tribute to Our Heroes💙

@JDJ555 wrote:

Author,  Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD - Canadian Army, was a Canadian poet, physician, author, artist and soldier during WW I. He was a surgeon during the second battle of Ypres in Belgium. Many allies died in Ypres. He died of pneumonia near the end of the War otherwise known as the "Great War."

Thank you for your posts, @JDJ555.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

sidsmom wrote:

@dooBdoo

Lovely thread!

You're welcome, @sidsmom.    Thank you for your thoughtful contributions.   This particular weekend is one that's close to my heart for many reasons, and I think the video is particularly touching and appropriate for this time as we remember those who gave so much for so many.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

MJ12 wrote:

Thanks for this thread, @dooBdoo

Yesterday was "Flag - In" at Arlington  - the Memorial Day tradition; 1,000 +  soldiers put over 280,000 flags on each headstone and columbarium.

134259912_14322504867031n.jpg

You're welcome, @Mj12.   Thank you for sharing this information and image.    I spent time with a group placing flags on our national cemetery today...    I think this is a special reminder to all of us as we reflect on this time of remembrance and appreciation.    (((@Mj12))),  I always think of you and your family when I offer my gratitude to all who serve(d) in the military.❤️

Honored Contributor

Gooday wrote:
I would personally like to thank my friend, who goes by the name of @loveschocolate, retired Army veteran and nurse.
👏👏👏❤❤❤
Sorry for the small print.

Thank you, @Gooday.    So good to see you here.    I honor our friend, @loveschocolate, too.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Great thread @dooBdoo.

My last trip to France my sister and I decided to hire a driver/guide. We went to a couple of different places. We visited the Moet and Chandon Champagne Cellars and then we went to Belleau Wood. It sas the site of a just awful battle during WW1 where the Marines backed by Army artillery fought. If you were ever a Marine or married to one, you have likely heard about this story. They took a beating by the Germans and fought like crazy but finally prevailed. This battle is very much a sense of pride for the Marines and steeped in lore. My sister, brother, brother in law and father were all Marines and this was a very emotional day for my sister.

Our driver was also our tour guide. We arrived when they were almost closing at Belleau Wood but they allowed us in anyway. It was so quiet and chilling. Our guide was just wonderful and was so knowledgeable. As he was explaining what happened he was acting out the battle. We were all crying to think of what those young men (most kids) went through and you can still see the battle scarred earth. It was probably one of the most sobering things I have experienced and I have been to many battlefields. You hear so much about WW2 and Vietnam on the HIstory and Military Channel but not so much about WW1 and that was one brutal war with so much loss and suffering. 

Anyway, I will be thinking about all those men and women from all wars who paid with their lives. I think it is important to share what the day is really about with children when age appropriate too. 

Again dooBdoo, thank you for starting this thread.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

MJ12 wrote:

I am still oxox wrote:

Memorial Day is to commentate the war dead, Veterans day is to thank those that have served.

Gooday wrote:
I would personally like to thank my friend, who goes by the name of @loveschocolate, retired Army veteran and nurse.
👏👏👏❤❤❤
Sorry for the small print.

That is true but it's always the right time to show appreciation and gratitude for military service. 

Both very true,  @I am still oxox and @Mj12.    It's a time for gratitude for all who serve and who served, including the families of our military.    As you can see by the official American flag protocol, the day honors all.   Thank you for your posts.❤️

"For 142 years, Americans have taken the last Monday in May to remember those who have died in our wars. Like all deaths honored by the state, flags fly at half-staff.

However, on Memorial Day, the U.S. flag only flies at half-staff for the first half of the day, and then is raised to full height from noon to sundown.

This unique custom honors the war dead for the morning, and living veterans for the rest of the day.

...“The first part of the day honors those who sacrificed, and the second part of the day honors those who are still with us,” Rogers said...

...Both the Union and the Confederacy began honoring lost soldiers before the war even ended, as war widows combed battlefields in search of their fallen relatives. Eventually, the flowers that mourners left at the graves across the nation merged with the May celebrations of freed slaves to form a national Memorial Day, Blight said.

The celebration of this holiday, which had gained an official designation on May 30, 1868, , began falling out of practice in the beginning of the 20th century, but then reentered popular practice during World War I, Blight said.

Then, after World War II, advocacy by veterans’ groups led to the creation of a separate holiday for living military personnel in the form of Veteran’s Day, Blight said.

Thus, Memorial Day became a day for exclusively celebrating the sacrifice of those who fell in battle, leaving only the mid-day flag-raising to signal hope beyond death, and honor those who survived battle."

http://www.livescience.com/9923-flag-staff-noon-memorial-day.html

Honored Contributor

mtc wrote:

@dooBdoo thanks so much for starting this lovely thread! . . . Heart

Image result for Meaning Memorial Day 2017

Thank you, @momtochloe.❤️

Honored Contributor

SleeplessinSD wrote:

IMG_0421.JPG

So powerful, @SleeplessinSD.   Thank you.❤️

Honored Contributor

Oznell wrote:

Deep love and gratitude for all who have served and perished in this most sacrificial endeavor.

Thank you, @Oznell.❤️

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

God Bless the men/women who died for our country.  You will always be remembered and are always in our hearts.  

Lovely, @Katcat1.   Thank you.❤️