Honored Contributor

Re: ❤️HOW CAN WE HELP? (HURRICANE FLORENCE)❤️

disasterassistance.gov

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

air bnb hosts who are opening their homes up to evacuees.

You can also call Airbnb at 855-424-7262.

https://www.airbnb.com/welcome/evacuees/hurricane-florence-2018

SC 211

here is the link for SC 211. You can call the phone number listed to talk to someone from your cell or dial 211 (like 911) from a landline, or click on the link to find out more info on disaster relief information and assistance.

http://www.sc211.org/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My HSN card let me donate through American Red Cross

I think the qvc card does the same

Honored Contributor

charleston animal society

https://www.charlestonanimalsociety.org/

loaves and fishes, providing groceries for people in need

http://loavesandfishes.org/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I absolutely trust the Salvation Army to get help to anyone in need.  Go to their website or go in person to the nearest store or office to make a donation.  If money is tight, consider donating clothes that your children or grandchildren have outgrown.  Additionally, adult clothing will be needed, so if you have items you can spare, donate those.  Everthing will be needed!

Thank you!   

Respected Contributor

There are some great suggestions here. This time, I am donating directly to my brother and his wife, who left their island home and have no idea when they can return or if they will have a home anymore. At least they evacuated early and have their lives and their pets. I am praying for everyone, inc.uding all the animals, who are in harm’s way. Devastating. 

Honored Contributor

Catholic Charities is on the ground in NC.  They do a wonderful job for victims.  93% of donations go toward helping victims.

The Red Cross is there too but I don't give to them.  During the hurricanes in 2014, only 25% of donations went to victims and they couldn't explain why.

Honored Contributor

I don't give money to Red Cross either.

But if they had a blood drive for the Carolinas, I would give blood

unfortunately I can't give blood

The Salvation Army website (dot org) has information on how to contribute specifically toward Hurricane Florence recovery

From seeing it with my own eyes, I can tell you who does the most good.

It's Samaritan's Purse and The Salvation Army as well as local churches.

One of our local churches from Birmingham sent a rescue vehicle and volunteers, I'm sure there are others.   Some of the bigger churches here have a rescue/recovery ministry.

The Red Cross does OK but they have high administration expenses.

Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

We had to evacuate-and I'm glad we did. We just 'got home'. Damage-oh yeah, but we have neighbors who's homes are total losses.  Next door had the ceilings collapse in.

It will take quite a while to repair damage; I'd personally like to move; it was a direct hit.

We just returned and it wasnt easy-flooding everywhere. Dog Red was a real trooper living w/2 cats. BFF cant get home due to floods; am going to check her place.

Very humbling...and saddened w/ reports of looting; big LE presence around.

Ministries out helping w/supplies. I did laundry before we returned.

gotta go...

Respected Contributor

Please, please help the animal shelters in New Hanover, Pender, or Columbus counties NC.

Dog food, cat food (requesting not store brands), litter, towels, (Salty Paws rescue for Paws Place in Supply, NC), bowls, beds or $$. They are struggling and rescued animals during the hurricane.

I will post animal rescue info as I get it.

FEMA and ministries are giving food, water, blankets for people.

Our Carolina furbabies need some love.