Respected Contributor

Re: ✳️⚡️Electric Vehicle Movement

I would purchase an electric car, except the one that looks good to me is 280,000 dollars. I find most of them to be the ugliest thing on the road. So no. AND I live in a place where there are few charging stations. So, again, no. Combine aesthetics, function and a power source, then I am in,

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

....insist cars are the problem. Eh, not so much. At least not in the real world. 

Maybe.

But at least it’s a start.

Alternatives are not an ‘if’....it’s a ‘when’.

We changed from horse/buggy to fuel engines.

We changed from leaded gasoline to unleaded.

Changes are happening...whether people want it or not. 

What makes this latest change different from the previous is,

people are trying to politicize it. 🤷‍♀️ It’s a bi-partisan issue. 

@sidsmom  Uh huh

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

....insist cars are the problem. Eh, not so much. At least not in the real world. 

Maybe.

people are trying to politicize it.  It’s a bi-partisan issue. 

@sidsmom   Incorrect.  Electric vehicles were around in 1880 and actually popular in the early 1900's. 

The fuel engines were proven to be more efficient, and that is why the electric vehicles were discarded at that time.  Let's not even get into the $$ factor.

If you start a thread about EMV's, then it is important to back up your claims instead of using "duh" and "mind-boggling" for those who have skepticism.  It is only natural for people to ask question and it's really rude to them.

I sit and read in amusement at all the band wagon riders who are just waking up to the environment.  It's "the thing" right now "fueled" by some who use it to garner attention and deflection.

The hypocrisy is astounding; for all those flag wavers - sell your planes, including the private ones just to transport your DOG, sell your yachts, fill in your swimming pools, stop supporting items made in some of the worst offenders or better yet-stop manufacturing your brand in said countries.

Fossil fuiels, wind power, solar power, EMV's-all can be worked together hand in hand. 

This isn't just about plugging in your car every morning; it is about trying to force an issue before all the kinks have been worked out.  To point fingers at those who still drive gas cars is impolite and just shows a lack of understanding about how all of this is coming about.

WE KNOW ABOUT EMISSIONS: it's been tackled for decades.  Nobody here is clueless.  But to throw out EMV's as the only option right now is unrealistic.

Let's try and be open minded and not so high and mighty when it comes to these topics.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:
@gardenman 

Maybe.

people are trying to politicize it.  It’s a bi-partisan issue. 

@sidsmom 

Horse and buggy comparison, really?  Light bulb to a wood fire? Not a good analogy to me. It may be bi-partisan, but if concern is just the air we breath! Last I looked the ones putting the most contaminants in the ocean and in the air, ain't our country.

And the ones with the loudest voices and biggest proponents of "change", also get the most partisan media coverage. I see and hear: "do as I say, not as I do". That doesn't set well with me and many millions of others. Practice what you preach is for the little people!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

But to throw out EMV's as the only option right now is unrealistic.

“...only option right now...”

Who is saying that?

Trusted Contributor

EMVs are not an option for many of us. They look like tinker toy cars, have the power of tinker toy cars(most models), and are as reliable as a tinker toy cars. I don’t drive a tinker toy car! 

Honored Contributor

@Ketra 

Like your post so will use your description.  I'm still waiting for one of these proponents of these "tinker toys" to tell me what source is going to be used to produce all this electricity. Not gonna wait any longer, that would be: Coal/Natural Gas and Nuclear. Hello again! Ring any bells?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

There is so much about electric vehicle that just don't make them practical IMO

1. Cost - they are so expensive for a small car
  2. Most that I see are small cars - personally even if it was just me in the car, I don't feel comfortable in small car
  3. Size - I have a family of 6 - are there any that will comfortably fit that many people with luggage. I have a hard eniugh time finding a regular car.
  4. Driving distance - I keep seeing a distance of 100 miles per charge.  That doesn't even cover my round trip to work and back.  What if you are driving in an area without an available charging station.  There are many remote areas in our country.  What do you do if you run out of charge?
  5. How long does it take to charge - I really don't know the answer to this question.  If I'm on a trip and have to re-charge every 100 miles, how long is that going to take.  I can fill up a tank of gas in 10 minutes so how long will that charging stop take?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimomof4 wrote:

2. Most that I see are small cars - personally even if it was just me in the car, I don't feel comfortable in small car
  3. Size - I have a family of 6 - are there any that will comfortably fit that many people with luggage. I have a hard eniugh time finding a regular car.
  4. Driving distance - I keep seeing a distance of 100 miles per charge.  That doesn't even cover my round trip to work and back.  What if you are driving in an area without an available charging station.  There are many remote areas in our country.  What do you do if you run out of charge?
  5. How long does it take to charge - I really don't know the answer to this question.  If I'm on a trip and have to re-charge every 100 miles, how long is that going to take.  I can fill up a tank of gas in 10 minutes so how long will that charging stop take?

@mimomof4 

A quick Google search would answer any of these points.

Lots of mis-conceptions & myths over something new.

1.  Cost. Continually going to match conventional vehicles.

2.  They are not small.  There are SUV Electric Vehicles

3.  They are not small.  There are SUV Electric Vehicles.

4.  Distance = 250+ per charge, much like gasoline

5.  Charge? Depends on many circumstances. I see 20-30min

for a full charge, at the very longest. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

@mimomof4 

A quick Google search would answer any of these points.

Lots of mis-conceptions & myths over something new.

1.  Cost. Continually going to match conventional vehicles.

2.  They are not small.  There are SUV Electric Vehicles

3.  They are not small.  There are SUV Electric Vehicles.

4.  Distance = 250+ per charge, much like gasoline

5.  Charge? Depends on many circumstances. I see 20-30min

for a full charge, at the very longest. 

Just because there are SUVs does not mean they are large.  Currently in the marketplace there is only 1 which will comfortably hold 6 people + luggage.  That vehicle is well out of my price range.  All claims by automakers of the 3rd row seat and holding 7 people do not take into account that those people actually need to put stuff in their vehicles.

I speak from experience after searching last year for a new vehicle looked at vehicle after vehicle that claimed they would carry my family.  I had the saleperson put that 3rd row seat up and look at the storage left in the back.  There is hardly any. So im my experience almost everything is too small.

If I had to make a 30 minute stop every 250 miles on a road trip - my husband would throw a fit.  Not to mention the extra planning that needs to take place right now since few communities have charging stations available.  Yes more are getting them but not enough in the remote areas.  My vechicle now will go 450 before a fill up.