Super Contributor

Re: Independence Day TSV - American West Naja Necklace

Love Durango and have many great memoriesof skiing at Purgatory!

Super Contributor

I cancelled the naja necklace at the last minute because I just couldnt stand how that naja was always crooked - it would drive me nuts

Honored Contributor

Oostende said:
"Kachina, I grew up in Durango, Colorado, and when I was a girl we used to see some of the older Navajo ladies in the voluminous velvet skirts wearing the squashes along with spectacular rings and bracelets. You just don't see that anymore. The era has passed, I suppose."

They wear them for ceremonies like days when the pueblos have dances or to pow wows. We have The Gathering of Nations Pow Wow here (Albuquerque) every year and they really haul out the silverware for that.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Terrific thread, Ladies. I always like to come away from reading something having learned i fo I hadn't known before.
I didn't buy. I too have a LOT of CP/AW/R jewelry that doesn't get as much wearing as it should.
I found an old traveling case over the weekend, and started yesterday to move my previously purchased, heavy, beautiful SW jewelry into it so that I can wear a different piece every day.
It will probably take me over a year to get through the whole stash.
Hope everyone enjoys their new weekend finds!!
Valued Contributor

Yes, Kachina, you're right about that.  The ceremonial dress still comes out for ceremonies and as a sales technique.  I was referring to the old ones who wore their best to come to town.  It was common to see the older generation at the grocery store or in restaurants dressed traditionally.   The younger generation no longer wears the traditional dress on a day to day basis.  That is the era I was referring to that has passed.

I'm familiar with the Gathering of Nations.  I've never been.  I've danced at a lot of different powwows though.  I beaded by own regalia and I have some things that were passed down to me.  My own tribe hailed from the plains,  We didn't do silver work traditionally.  We did porcupine quill work and beadwork.

One of the best powwows I've ever been to is Crow Fair.  There is a parade that has to be seen to be believed.  Some of the beadwork on their ponies is from the 1800s.

Trusted Contributor

Oostende...I've told this story before on these boards but once in the 80's there was a Arts and Crafts show at the La Plata Co Fairgrounds..My DH and I attended..there was a NA women selling jewelry there and I saw a wonderful squash there....I asked to see it and asked how much it was...she said 75 dollars...my heart jumped and I looked at it..her son had made it..I can't remember his name but it was stamped on the squash blossom necklace..it was big and bold and beautiful..I grabbed DH and made him take out his wallet..lol..then on examining it again I saw the price on the back in magic marker..it was warn some..it really said 750 dollars but she didn't see that...I gave it back to her and showed her her mistake...she started crying and thanked me for being honest..well I couldn't have only paid 75 dollars for it..she gave me a pair of earrings I still have today as a thankyou for being honest...DW

Valued Contributor

That is so nice, DancingWoman!  Smiley Happy

By the way, I loved the old fairgrounds.  Spent some of the best years of my life there.  The high school football games used to be held there and I hit most the the rodeos from the Navajo Trails Fiesta.

Remember when Ben Nighthorse used to ride his horse in the parade with his full regalia?  Later on he road his motorcycle.  

Good memories. 

Trusted Contributor

One year for Snowdown Ben was gonna drive his restored old firetruck in the parade...well DH and I were on our way to our cabin that afternoon and there was Ben broke down in the firetruck off the road by the intersection of 550 south and 160 east..Farmington hill turn off..DH and I stopped to see if we could help..he had already called for  help so we chatted a bit and then went on our way..DW

Valued Contributor

Nice!  I remember the first Snowdown.  Thanks for the memories!  

I'm afraid we're hijacking this thread so I'm going to bow out now but it was sure nice chatting with you!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops sorry everyone didn't mean to take over this thread...DW