Honored Contributor

Re: Independence Day TSV - American West Naja Necklace

@elegantprofile wrote:

birdmama, did you get it?  I love it but it is expensive.

Sorry I started a thread then bailed for the holiday.  I've not seen a single show today.

I've bought nothing - I don't care for the TSV - there's something about it that just repels me and I can't put my finger on it.  Again, a personal reaction, no judgement to any of the lovely women here who may buy it.

The other two are way too much money in my opinion.  I've been watching a pair of earrings ($59) for months hoping for a discount.

I'm stubborn as a mule that way - so I'm out this visit - too rich for my blood.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I have this squash blossom (cost less when I bought it) and I love scale and the heft. 

Granted it's much more expensive. 

j283091.jpg

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Gardensia, that's not a squash blossom, it's a naja. The squash blossom is the silver piece that looks like a flower opening.

This naja has gone up in price $200, in the last two years, if there are any available. If you like Sleeping Beauty, it's the best quality I've seen. Beautiful deep velvety color, it makes most others, i.e., Paul Deasy's, look sick.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oostende wrote:

I sort of agree with you SurfK and I sort of don't.  I do think Carolyn is far more Western than Indian.  She captures a Dale Evans/Route 66 vibe.

Still, I don't think there is a single Native American style that is more authentic than another.  The old sandcast pieces of the 30s and 40s have a very different feel than a Tommy Singer from the 1980s or a Ben Nighthorse Campbell piece now.  And, of course, the designers themselves evolve over time.

In addition, the Native Americans frequently design one style for other Natives and a completely different style to suit a more European/Western/tourist taste.  

Art is constantly evolving and Native American jewelry is no exception.  The main thing is to just buy what you like.  Smiley Happy

I do think its western Victorian. I said that in my earlier post.

I think AW tends to be weakest when it attempts to "pay homage" to classic Native American pieces. I sort of said that, too, earlier.

Its "western" but one does have to admit that its "western" as centered where its produced - in Albuquerque, NM. No escaping heavy Native American influence. And when one offers a SQUASH BLOSSOM necklace, well, they're going for a Native American look (and not just "rodeo").

I do agree that many of the designs have a definite Dale Roberts 1940s aura about them. Many of the AW designs are clearly inspired by that era.

BTW: I have several Tommy Singer pieces and indeed Native designs are always being influenced by contemporary culture. Its been that way since trading days. They were always very open to incorporating new materials or imagery.

I think the Zuni inlay work depicting, for example, Mickey Mouse, produced in the 40s and 50s are a hoot.

But when the pieces AREN'T Native American but are selling "traditional" Native designs, you have a different discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
Gardensia, that's not a squash blossom, it's a naja. The squash blossom is the silver piece that looks like a flower opening.

This naja has gone up in price $200, in the last two years, if there are any available. If you like Sleeping Beauty, it's the best quality I've seen. Beautiful deep velvety color, it makes most others, i.e., Paul Deasy's, look sick.

Opps, my bad. It's a great piece and I wear it a lot. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The squash blossom is called that because it sort of reminds people of that flower. But actually its origins aren't as clear.

A naja came to the Native Americans through the Spanish Conquistadors. Native Americans saw it on the horses of the Spanish and loved the design. Its part of a horse's bridle.

But actually the Spanish got it from the Moors when the Ottoman Empire ruled all the land including Spain. They were noted as being the greatest horsemen on earth.

The use of the naja design is actually a great example of how receptive the Native American people were to new ideas and designs. And how several different cultures come together over time to influence one another.

Jewelry is fascinating. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

If you've ever actually seen the blossom of the squash on the vine, it looks just like the slightly stylized squash blossom on the necklace.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Gardensia, I've got that naja, too, and it's a stunner. I like to wear mine on a leather cord. Looks great in the neckline of a classic white shirt like the Linea Kate shirt.

Esteemed Contributor

@Qulia wrote:

Gardensia, I've got that naja, too, and it's a stunner. I like to wear mine on a leather cord. Looks great in the neckline of a classic white shirt like the Linea Kate shirt.

I wear mine on a cord too. I wanted something like this since the 80s when Ralph Lauren showed similar pieces with black velvet dresses. I just love mine; it's one of the top 10 things I've bought here.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:
If you've ever actually seen the blossom of the squash on the vine, it looks just like the slightly stylized squash blossom on the necklace.

Its commonly accepted or known to be the squash blossom flower.

But its origins are not necessarily that.

Most experts feel its derived from the form of a new or young pomegranate.

The pomegranate was a design which the Spanish often used as a symbol linked to Granda, Spain. It moved to Mexico through the Conquistadors and then up to the Navajo peoples.

There, they were taken by the designs of the Spanish nobleman and top officers who had elaborate najas on their horse's bridles and the stylized pomegranates adorning their armor, brocades, etc...

The actual Navajo term for it is "chil bitan" which simply means "flower-like bead".

A young pomegranate:

pome.jpg