Honored Contributor

Carolyn’s Coming with a Big Deal! - May 2021

Just want to give everyone here a heads up! @1Professor posted about it in the Jewelry forum. Go look at the info and pics there.

Will you be able to resist? I won't! LOL!  Cat LOLSmiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn’s Coming with a Big Deal! - May 2021

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom   I will be able to resist, however, New Mexico need the revenue and jobs so please strongly consider the new pieces

You should Google the work of silversmith Alex Sanchez, a Navajo.  He specializes in jewelry with Petroglyph motifs.  Both @patbz  and I are very fond of his work.

Like this pendant of mine.

Screenshot_20210526-100514_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered the orange spiny oyster bracelet and matching earrings last night. I saw the hoop earrings and was tempted, but chose the others because of the petroglyphs.  

So @Kachina624 - I hope I might have something to do with helping someone in your home state! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom    By the way, I live about 5 miles from The Petroglyph National Monument.  There are a acres and acres of them. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - I would LOVE to see that! I took a course on Egyptian hieroglyphics in college. I was already enamored with AW symbols because of my dad's many business trips to NM (and the jewelry he brought back for me!), and I wanted to learn more then. Someday I'm going to get out there!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - I will look him up. Your pendant is so pretty. The turquoise is such a pretty stone. I like the ones with character, although I have ordered Sleeping Beauty here. I also like the bead work leading to what I think is the rock symbol, right?

I have a Chief's shield pendant with petroglyphs. There are no stones and it is slightly curved. I don't know who the artist was. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom    The figure of the pendant is a Kachina, a doll.  The turquoise is her head and she's wearing a necklace with a naja. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@beach-mom    The figure of the pendant is a Kachina, a doll.  The turquoise is her head and she's wearing a necklace with a naja. 

@Kachina624 - I see that now! Sometimes I can't see what's in front of me! The fact that she is a Kachina makes it even more beautiful! It's so unusual! I've seen some, but never any as special as the one you shared with us. Most of the ones I've seen are at American Indian jewelry shows. My dad got me a pin years ago. I never wore it. It's made of cloth and straw.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - Do you have a collection of Kachina pieces? Is that why you chose your board name?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom   I do have 3 or 4 Kachina pendants, not really a collection. 

The real Kachina dolls, the good, museum quality ones, are my favorite Indian artifact.  They are hand-carved from the root of the Cottonwood tree, then painted by the artist.  There are no leather pieces, feathers or fur, as is found on the tourist version.  They are exquisitely detailed and very expensive.  I don't have one but make a beeline for them when I enter a shop or museum that has them.  That's why I chose my name.