Trusted Contributor

It's also called stealing. He's a crook. Suggest you or your director (if that's not you) draw up a complaint for the value and fines, also interest on the fines. Then file a complaint with your police department. Also call the president of your town council and/or mayor. Send them copies, too.

Taxpayers will applaud you, not criticize. As someone else said here it's taxpayers money he's stealing.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover@candyagain@Peaches McPhee@Peaches McPhee@ValuSkr

I too agree. And yes, it is sad that people act this way.☹️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@shortbreadloverthere are many people who steal, period.  Blue collar, white collar, the common man, the powerful...

...that said, perhaps that's why my library has only PCs.  Much harder to steal.  

Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

I thought I saw on t.v. a long time ago about a library policeman who tracked down people who didn't bring back their books.  Do you have someone like that in your library system?  Surely you could lock the cards of the whole family until this laptop is returned.

@newname0what you saw was an episode of Seinfeld.  A hilarious episode of Seinfeld.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry but I think it is a terrible idea to check out laptops.  Who know what people are doing with them, and who knows if you will get them back. To me, it is simply something that should not be done. 

Trusted Contributor

i think that t h reason laptops are for checkout is that they want people to learn the new tech stuff.

but it is not okay with me for them to be stolen.

that really sad thing is that 99% of the ones checked out are returned with no damage.  a few jerks make it bad for all and if they pull them, then honest people miss out on having them for checkout.

students may checkout themout so they can do homework if they do not have a pc. at home or it is a holiday weekend and they need to get some homework done.  library hours do not always  match a students

Honored Contributor

Check out a laptop?  I never heard of that, I'm pretty sure our libraries don't lend out laptops.  I'm also pretty sure that if they did, they'd be lucky to get half of them back.  People here have to use the computers....in the library.  

Esteemed Contributor

Situational Ethics -- or limited ethics. Difficult to have respect for this person who is taking advantage of the library. I love the role of public library in our communities.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Regular Contributor

Why do they think that?  Because they are getting away with it.  I would turn the matter over to the police and not collections.  I would further help authorities by advising them when he comes in next time.  He is a thief.

Honored Contributor

@BadWolf@Today the police don’t go after the small time thieves.I have witnessed people stealing and reported them to the store manager and they say that there is nothing they can do unless a security person is on duty.Police don’t usually investigate small dollar crimes unless a weapon is involved....so it seems that crime pays if you can keep the value low.