Trusted Contributor

that they can steal from the library and get awy with it?  i had a patron checkout a laptop and he never returned it.  he has been billed over $600.00 for it but he just blows it off.  he came in again and wanted to checkout movies so i told him no that until he paid for the laptop, he was block from using his card.  well, he got out his son's card and used it.  i am so upset that people think that they can get away with this kind of stuff.  yes, i work at the library, but i am also a taxpayer and i feel that he was stealing me me.

Honored Contributor

He is stealing from all of us who pay taxes.  I don't think checking out laptops is a good idea.  This also became a problem in large school districts that provided technology to students.

Trusted Contributor

I thought I saw on t.v. a long time ago about a library policeman who tracked down people who didn't bring back their books.  Do you have someone like that in your library system?  Surely you could lock the cards of the whole family until this laptop is returned.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't the library have any recourse against the person?  I'd ask why it doesn't take the borrower's credit card number just-in-case, but a library probably isn't set-up for credit cards.

Regular Contributor

@shortbreadlover

It's called "entitlement." 

I don't get it either. I'm curious, when does the library consider the laptop stolen?

Trusted Contributor

they ave blocked his card from further use and they also sent a bill and turned it ove to collections but these kind of people just blow it off and will never pay up

when i got my first card, my parents explained to me about fines and  such.  i was told if i had any fines, i had to pay them from my allownace and then my card would be taken from me for 2 weeks.  needless to say, because i love the library, i never ever paid fines or lost a book.  i have have my card since i was 6.

Trusted Contributor

we had another person return some of our dvds that he had bought a yardsale.he wanted the library to refund his money because he did not like the movies he had bought and therefor returning them to us since he could not remember where he had bought them.  but we tracked down who had checked them out and never returned and that patron has been billed and turned over to collections.

Trusted Contributor

i ave also seen people that have huge bills and are blocked on their card, get cards in their children's name and then use that card.

one patron who was blocked for a large bill, yelled and demanded to see the manager because they were a taxpayer and that they had the right to use the library

Respected Contributor

Your library needs a better policy regarding lending out of laptops.    You can't afford to lose too many laptops.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

they do have a strict policy on laptops.  they have to checked out at the desk and checked for all items when taken and returned.  the patron also agrees to pay for all damages and missng parts but people somehow manage tp get around the rules.