Honored Contributor

to the person who has an ARC copy of "Beartown"

Someone said they have a netgalley ARC of Fredrik Backman's "Beartown."  I'm sorry, I know it's someone who is a regular around here but I can't remember who it is! 

Oddly Amazon has not posted any advance Vine reviews of this book (whereas they have tens of reviews of Elizabeth Strout's next book, which will be published a month after "Beartown").

I hope you see this and please pretty please, whether you've read five pages or a hundred, please post your thoughts on the book.  Can't wait!

Respected Contributor

Re: to the person who has an ARC copy of "Beartown"

DON'T  READ THE AMAZON REVIEWS SPOILERS

I haven't finished the reading it yet but I saw a review with a major spoiler I haven't come to yet.  Hope I'm not too late.What is wrong with these reviewers?

@LoriLori

Honored Contributor

@lovescats, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!  You have done me a huge favor, and maybe others.  I was going to head there today and read the reviews and I would have definitely seen the spoiler.  I'm sorry you did.  Thank you so much!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Not to brag but I'm now officially on my library's waiting list for this book. Up until today it had been showing "On Order." Smiley Happy

Did I mention there are 32 people ahead of me? Smiley Sad

That's okay, I'll be patient, and by the time it comes in I'll have forgotten I'm on the list and it will be a nice surprise!

Honored Contributor

As I posted on the other thread, "Beartown" is different from his other books.  I'm 50 pages in and it's more serious, no LOL's, a darker tone.  So far it's not fun like the others but the story is compelling and it's Frederik Backman so I know the residents of Beartown will have my heart one way or the other.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats, @SusieQ_2, posting this here too to be sure people see it who care about the book:

Lovescats, you've posted here there are spoilers on Amazon.

I'm sad to say I now have to add Goodreads to that.  In their May newsletter on the main page in the book description they've spoiled a very big thing for me.  I'm very annoyed.

So if you plan to read the book I'd say just stay away from everything.  Amazon people do this, that's not new but when you can't count on Goodreads -- sheesh.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

just wanted to make a spoiler comment about how the book went

Spoiler
The book never went into why the hockey player raped the girl but his best friend was gay and how this affected the two young men's relationship  was never discussed in the book.   Also the gay hockey player met a bass player who was gay and they had a relationship. (but if this book was made into a movie the bass player could be changed to a girl and that aspect left out.  also the store owner was flipped to being good at the end so I think there is the potential for a sequel but for me this book just wasn't my cup of tea.