Esteemed Contributor

something similar to Kate Atkinson & Tana French detective/police books?

[ Edited ]

I've read 4 of the 5 Kate Atkinson Jackson Brodie books ( our library system doesn't have #5) and all 6 of Tana French's  Dublin murder squad books.

now I'm looking for recommendations for a similar series.

both of these series involved a private detective and/or police detectives and are set in Ireland, Scotland and England.

someone on a previous Tana French post suggested the Elizabeth George Inspector Lynley series but they aren't available through my library system.

any suggestions?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Re: something similar to Kate Atkinson & Tana French detective/police books?

Deborah Crombie has written a wonderful series featuring Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. I think there are 17 books now. Each book introduces new characters that show up here and there in the series. They are truly wonderful books. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Deborah Crombie has written a wonderful series featuring Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. I think there are 17 books now. Each book introduces new characters that show up here and there in the series. They are truly wonderful books. 

@Jasmine19, thank you. I checked my local library system and they actually have some of them. this series will be a definite on my list. sound like exactly what I'm looking for.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

I highly recommend Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. The main character was a nurse during World War I, and becomes a detective who uses psychology to help solve her cases.

The books are very well-writen and unique. They're so good I need to buy them!

Honored Contributor

I've read and loved all of the Jackson Brodies but not Tana French  I think you'd like Denise Mina, a Scottish writer. 

Her Paddy Meehan series is terrific,  Paddy is a journalist on the crime beat and smarter than some of the police.  I loved all three Paddy Meehan books.   There's a bit of humor but they're not like Alan Bradley's Flavia series -- they're not cozies.  The first of the three is Field of Blood, based loosely on the horrific murder of Jamie Bulgar.  

She has another series, the Alex Morrow series, which is more of police procedural.  They very good as well, I just prefer the Paddy Meehans..

And she's written a true crime, I didn't know that and I will read it at some point.

She's a very gifted writer and I love the Scottish settings.

http://www.denisemina.com/books/

Valued Contributor

I recommend Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, set in Oslo.  Not for the faint of heart, some of his criminals are quite bizarre.

Esteemed Contributor

Try The Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs.

Regular Contributor

I've read all of Tana French and Kate Atkinson.  Try Ian Rankin - his main character is a detective in Edinburgh, Scotland.

ALso, Ann Cleves = either the Vera series or Shetland series.

All are excellent books and good writers.