Respected Contributor

rather dreadful books of 2018

For most of my reading life, I have finished books, no matter what. I began easing up on this. However, I still feel compelled to finish books that others seem to revere.

Two books in particular were not a pleasure to read: Nina George's A Little French Bistro and Katarina Bivald's The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend.

The first one contained so many over-the-top characters and fantastical plot elements that I found them really irritating. Nevertheless, I persevered (I was wrong to do so).

The other book also contained over-the-top characters and fantastical plot elements. Even worse, though, it contained MAJOR SPOILERS. A few summers ago, I taught a 4-week class on Charlotte Bronte's Villette (which I prefer to Jane Eyre, a book I've re-read several times and always treasured). Anyway, author Bivald revealed a major fact regarding the ending of Vilette. I was furious! Plus she gave details about Jane Eyre that most readers are probably aware of, but why should they be presented on a plate, so to speak?

Anyway, both books have been donated; I will never read anything else by these authors. I hope to have better judgment in 2019!

Respected Contributor

Re: rather dreadful books of 2018

[ Edited ]

These are the ones I didn't finish this year. I try to finish all I read but these are the exceptions.

Weather Woman - Cai Emmons

Damaged Beyond All Recognition - Alan Felyk

From Siberia To St. Kitts (nf) - Ira Simonds Sumner

The Orchard -  Yochi Brandes

White Houses - Amy Bloom

Murder So Wrong - Ted Clifton

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@insomniac2, another teacher, bless you!  

Mine are in no particular order, they're all horrible and with the example set by posters on this forum this year I gave myself permission to PTB so thanks so much:

:

The Day She Disappeared by Christobel Kent (PTB) 

Hotels of North America by Rick Moody (PTB)

The Sparrow Sisters by Ellen Herrick  

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney (PTB)

And three horror novels -- probably no one cares to know the titles.

Honored Contributor

I never try and finish a book I don’t like. I read for enjoyment and as soon as I stop enjoying, I return it to the library. There are too many good books out there to waste my time.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@insomniac2  I read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend and thought it was a pleasant book.  I didn't notice any spoilers about Jane Eyre, but, of course, I've read it.  I've never read Villette so probably didn't notice any spoilers and don't remember what they might have been.   But now that you've piqued my curiosity, I'm going to read Villette.  How could it be better than Jane Eyre?

I usually try to finish books I start.  It's rare that I just give up on a book unless the subject matter is just not appealing to me or the writing is dull.  

I guess I don't remember any really dreadful books, so I had to go on Goodreads to see what I rated one star.  Most of them are truly forgettable and not worth mentioning.  But a book everyone here seems to love, The Wife Between Us, I gave it one star.  Ridiculous plot.   

Respected Contributor

@smoky22I could not read The Wife Between Us either. I read about 30 pages and thought it was very poorly written.

Honored Contributor

I know I’m in the minority but I hated Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. The characters were flat and the interactions and relationships seemed very poorly fleshed. It is his first novel and a bestseller but it was drudgery for me.

Honored Contributor

I can’t even remember which books I didn’t finish, but I no longer feel I need to finish what I start.

many of my book club books have fallen into the “cannot finsh this” category!  

Why am I still in this book club?  Well...some of us who feel as I do,did request some changes for this next year. Giving the club another chance. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just looked at my Audible app to see what I listened to.  I may speed up a novel, but I do usually always try to finish them!!

My least favorite of the year is solely due to the hubris of the author for thinking she could narrate it herself.  May be a good read, but I thought more than once about returning The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle.

Also didn’t care for Vox by Christina Dalcher. I expected the politics; I just also expected the story to be better given the glowing critical reviews. 

I was also disappointed in Tangerine by Christine Mangan.  This is probably my fault - I think I had higher expectations than it warranted given its title and exotic locale.

Respected Contributor

Alter Ego, I appreciate your comments on Tangerine. I really had high expecations for that book; I guess I was basing that too much on the cover, which was fabulous. The story was not gripping. I actually forgot I even read it!