Honored Contributor

"WILDFIRE AT MIDNIGHT" A GREAT WINTER READ BY MARY STEWART

wildfire-at-midnight-mary-stewart.jpg

I think I've gushed here before about how Mary Stewart's early, (pre- "Crystal Cave-type) stuff,  her books that were strictly romantic suspense, are among the best of her long career.

They are a must-read every few years, and along with "My Brother Michael",  "Wildfire at Midnight" is near the top.

It's set against the real-life backdrop of the coming, hectic coronation festivities of Queen Elizabeth in England.  A sensitive, intelligent Londoner, Gianetta Brooke, who models clothes for a living, has to get out of the city, and chooses the isle of Skye in Scotland, for her escape.

The remote, water and hill-surrounded hotel she arrives at has a fascinating cross-section of vacationers, including a famous actress, some quarelling teachers, some good- looking climbers, and surprise--  a man who figured very prominently in her former romantic life!

But murder's been done in the district, and Gianetta must get some answers, including who it is safe to socialize, climb hills and fish with, and who might be bent on further mayhem....  The terror builds slowly.

Mary Stewart was so witty, literate and sophisticated, and her early heroines closely resemble their author, making these books such a pleasure to get lost in.  A cut above the usual romantic suspense, and a fab read on a cold night! 

Honored Contributor

Re: "WILDFIRE AT MIDNIGHT" A GREAT WINTER READ BY MARY STEWART

I'm a big Mary Stewart fan. Had all her books. Always a good read.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're so right, @World Traveler --  she's a story-teller extraordinaire.  I've read "Wildfire...."  umpteen times before, but have been tearing through it again this week, enthralled as usual.

I should have listed a few of her other early mysteries for anyone who might not have encountered them before. 

***Later, edited to add***-- I am copying what @World Traveler did with her Phyllis Whitney list, and including little synopses of the Stewart books:

"Madame, Will You Talk"--   South of France, young widow, Charity Selborne, on vacation gets swept up with mysteriously troubled family, unhappy little boy, dashing father.

"This Rough Magic"--   Isle of Corfu in Greece.  London actress visits wealthy sister with Corfu estate, encounters dolphin, famous actor and composer-son, and murder.   Terrific setting, atmosphere and characters, as usual. 

"My Brother Michael"--  This is my favorite, along with "Wildfire at Midnight".  Timid Englishwoman, recovering from broken relationship, visits Delphi in Greece, meets Englishman searching for clues to brother's death.  Soulful.

"Nine Coaches Waiting"--  plucky Linda Martin is half English, half French, applies for a job with an aristocratic French family living near Switzerland border, is plunged into intrigue.

"Thunder on the Right"--  Has Gothic overtones.  Englishwoman visits remote French convent in mountains, mysteries abound.

"The Ivy Tree"--   Canadian on vacation at Hadrian's Wall in northern England, meets handsome local who pursuades her to become an imposter, pretending to be long-lost Northumberland heiress.

"The Moon-Spinners"--   Nicola and her aunt, visiting Crete, find nefarious activities, a wounded man, and danger around their hotel.  Hayley Mills, Joan Greenwood, Irene Papas, Eli Wallach, made the film.

"Airs Above the Ground"--  Wife tracks missing husband to Vienna, against the backdrop of the famous Riding School there, and the Lippizan stallions...

"The Gabriel Hounds"--  English cousins, Christabel and Charles, visit Syria and decide to visit eccentric aunt in Lebanon, find murky doings...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Didn't know they were still in print. That's good!

Honored Contributor

Phyllis Whitney was another one whose books I loved, just as readable as Mary Stewart.

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks for reminding me of Phyllis Whitney, @World Traveler --  she's one I'd like to go back and read again.  I saw a 3 book set of hers on Amazon, which contained "The Red Carnelian",  which looked tantalizing.

Another excellent midcentury writer who intrigues me is Helen MacInnes-- of course she was more in the espionage/Cold War genre, which I find more appealing now, than I did when younger....

Honored Contributor

The Phyllis Whitney books I had; don't anymore.

• Black Amber – Istanbul, tries to find reason for death of beautiful girl, and how she is connected to her, conspiracy and terror
  • Blue Fire – Cape Town, unsolved mystery connected to husband, life at stake
  • Columbella – romantic suspense, St. Thomas Island, tries to save man she loves
  • Comino – mines, black pits in the mountains, Colorado, mystery surrounding father
  • Dream of Orchids – romance, murder, Florida Keys, mystery
  • Emerald – contemporary tale of danger and love in the playground of the rich, Palm Springs
  • Flaming Tree – Carmel, California, mystery and deception, son dies, subsequent divorce, mystery unfolds
  • Glass Flame – mysterious fires, Smoky Mountains region of Tennessee
  • Golden Unicorn – adopted child, unicorn necklace connected to mother’s murder
  • Hunter’s Green – English estate, woman returns after three years separated from husband
  • Listen for the Whisperer – Norway, young woman forced by father’s dying wish to face past that embittered her life
  • Lost Island – Hampton Island, holds a long-hidden secret of a family who rules as if sovereign
  • Moonflower – Japan, married to brilliant scientist, threatened by unseen forces
  • Poinciana – wife of rich man, Palm Beach estate, priceless art collection stolen
  • Quicksilver Pool – married to escape loneliness, mansion in NY
  • Rainsong – husband famous rock singer who dies, mystery, someone trying to drive her mad
  • Sea Jade – along the lines of Daphne du Murier and Mary Stewart, mystery, ruined castle, old London
  • Seven Tears for Apollo – Greece, husband dies, fatal accident of close friend
  • Silverhill – returns to mother’s home, mystery
  • Silversword – Hawaii, returns there to find an answer to secret of many years
  • Skye Cameron – New Orleans, young girl who defies others for love of a possible murderer
  • Snowfire – ski resort in Northeast, champion skier’s career cut short by a tragic accident
  • Spindrift – did her father commit suicide; she thinks he was murdered, Newport
  • Stone Bull – Catskill resort, sister dies, has been in sister’s shadow for years
  • Thunder Heights – Hudson River estate, grandfather dies, girl becomes heiress
  • Trembling Hills – San Francisco, young woman forced to confront past she has tried to forget
  • Turquoise Mask – horror surrounding mother’s death
  • Vermillion – Arizona, father’s murderer is sought
  • Window on the Square – gun accident at the hands of a young boy
  • Winter People – Victorian estate, husband has twin sister, kind of strange, yet haunting story that I have read over and over.

Honored Contributor

FANTASTIC!   What a treasure you are, @World Traveler --  you were kind enough to include little synopses of all the books so we'd know which would be of the most interest!

Now I will have to follow your example, and go do the same for my Mary Stewart list. (Hope I remember them accurately, ha.)

Thanks for that thoughtful touch--- I'll be referring to your list periodically!