Respected Contributor

"The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter

I am about halfway through with this book.  This is an author whose work I have liked.  This is a stand alone book, but she has a popular recurring character series.

I am having such a hard time getting through this.  It is SO DARK.  I don't mind a certain dose of dark.  But this book has very little BUT dark!  The main characters, a man and his 2 daughters, have things happen to them all the time.  It strains credulity for me.

I went to Amazon to actually read reviews of it.  The reviews are mostly glowing!!  So I guess my view is in the minority.

Wonder if anyone else has read it.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Re: "The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter

i started it yesterday. i checked the book club forum to see if there was a post about it, but there was none. can’t form an opinion yet. i hope its good in spite of it’s being dark as you say. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003@freakygirl, I read this book and I have read almost all of the books Slaughter has written.  It is on the darker side.  She tells the story of how this family have dealt with a significant negative event in their lives.  I wouldn't stop reading it.  It is a difficult issue and the responses are very human.  LM

Valued Contributor

I enjoyed it. It held my interest and I thought it was well written. I gave it 5 stars. 

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003

I really liked the book. I gave it 5 stars also. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know why others have found it so compelling and I don't!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

It just seems that it isn't believable that so many bad things happen to the same people, especially "Charlie."  I don't like confusing female characters with male names.

Like Charlie being in the place with a school shooting after what happened in her teens.  That's way too much for one life!  At first I thought Samantha had died.  And Rusty just seems too far out for reality.

I am at the point where the teen shooter is going to court.  I am finding this somewhat more interesting.  There seems to be a surprise upcoming, but I don't know this for sure.

I am going to finish it.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I started this and got through the first scene and decided not to continue. I think a good author can recreate a scene without the need to provide such a gory, near vulgar, account. 

Honored Contributor

I got this book the week it came out and loved it.  She is such a good writer.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I read it and gave it 5 Stars! It was really good! I really like this author as well.