Honored Contributor

"The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen"-- by Erin Alderson

Do you read cookbooks for fun?  I'm always drawn to vegetarian cookbooks, and have some Moosewood ones, etc.  I like the way this one is organized.

It has categories like "Savory Turnovers",  "Enchiladas", "Homemade Ravioli",  "Tacos" and so on.  She offers seasonal suggestions within each category for spring, summer, fall and winter. For example, for a winter savory turnover, she has "Spiced chickpea and root vegetable".  For a spring burger combo, she suggests "Fava Bean (burger) with radish slaw".

Right now I'm just reading it in a leisurely fashion and enjoying the pictures.  But lots of the dishes seem simple to make, and at some point I will!

Honored Contributor

Re: "The Easy Vegetarian Kitchen"-- by Erin Alderson

I read " Deep Run Roots " by Vivian Howard, and even if you never cook a thing from the book , it is fascinating.  She has a farm to table restaurant in .Eastern NC and she knows how to tell a story. By the way , did you ever eat at 

Moosewood in Ithaca ? The food was very good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

That does sound good, indoor kitty.  I really like regional approaches and creative, artisanal cooks, even though I am not one!

Yes, we have been to the Moosewood place in Ithaca several times, and had delicious meals in that casual, fun environment.  Even hubby, who isn't overly thrilled in general with vegetarian cooking, loved it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a large cookbook collection, but I have to admit, I have better luck finding recipes on the internet.  Most of my favorites recipes have come from the internet, but I enjoy reading cookbooks and I am sure I will continue to buy ones that intrigue me. 

Honored Contributor

If you've read The Mitford Series books, there is a cookbook out called -what else?  Mitford Cookbook. It's a fun book with most of the dishes named after the characters in the series-with a slight description above. I enjoyed it and it's beautiful and heavy. Jan Karon is beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline I think the "Mitford" series is my all time favorite series, and right up there with some of my favorite books, the recipe book is so fun to page through.

I have a large collection of cookbooks, but my favorite ones are from the various churches, I have 2 that I have used for over 30 years that I just keep going back to over and over.

I tend not to buy too many cookbooks lately, I find what I need on the internet, and what I cannot find I use this old brain and create my own.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears  OMgosh I have those old church cookbooks, too! Weren't they great? I have my stand-bys in both of them that I wouldn't part with.