Respected Contributor

@Tallgal wrote:

Back in the day, I was in the Navy in Hawaii,  I worked shift work and was reading IT by Stephen King.   It got too scarey for me.   So I gave it to my boyfriend to take back to his ship to put in the ship''s library.   This book made me ask,  Where does Stephen King get his ideas for writing books?   To this day I never finished reading IT.

@Tallgal-  I've always wondered that too.  What an imagination he has!

Valued Contributor

I read IT years ago. It definitely held my attention. Some books I read more than once...not sure if I would read this one again, but it is well worth the first read. 

Valued Contributor

I'm giving this book another shot since the new movie is released this year.

Also I read the similar 'Summer of Night' by Dan Simmons last year and enjoyed it very much so decided to try this one again.

I read 'It' 4 summers ago but gave up after 700 pages because I just found it boring and not at all scary. It's the first Stephen King book I've ever quit. 

Maybe it just wasn't the right time to find a resonance with me for some reason. Everyone else seems to like it!

Anyway, trying again and am now 360 pages in.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know they were remaking that!  

Not a huge fan of Stephen King but this is one book I got through and enjoyed.  Other than the gratuitous scene at the end between the girl and all the boys which to this day made no sense to me why that needed to happen or what purpose it served, GREAT story.  

Regular Contributor

Am a HUGE King fan.  Have read them all except the Dark Tower series.  Could not get into them. My friends think I'm nuts for reading his books!  Anyway, funny story...I was reading IT about 30 years ago one night.  Hubby on midnight, I am home alone with our 2 month old.  My sister had bought a bunch of clown stuff for my son.  She gave him a picture of a clown that looked exactly like Pennywise (minus the pointy teeth).  It was hanging on the wall  in the upstairs hallway.  From where I was laying in bed reading, I could see that picture on the wall.  To this day I SWEAR I saw that clown move!!!!  After I got my nerve up I grabbed that picture and threw it outside on the back porch.  Went in garbage can next day.  I was never so scared since!

Esteemed Contributor

"It" was a really scary book. I've read most Steven King books. I only quit one..don't remember the name,it started out with a woman tied to a bed. Not for me😟

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Re: "IT" by Stephen King.

[ Edited ]

@Tallgal

I had to comment. I was in the Navy stationed on a ship in Point Loma. I like to read at night. I remember being in my rack, pretty late with the little drapes closed that we had for privacy. I would not get out of my rack to go to the head. I swear I felt like something or someone was standing outside of my little drapes. i was surrounded by other people sleeping but I was too freaked out to move. I turned off my light and went to bed. LOL

Although, not as scary as IT. My favorite book by Stephen King till this day is Misery.

By the way I am grateful that he is an author and not a serial killer.

Respected Contributor

Re: "IT" by Stephen King.

[ Edited ]

My favorite King book. Funny thing could not go into that hamburger establishment with its mascot without thinking of It.

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I have avoided this in the past for I heard it was long and it was murder reading the Dark Tower series.  I am so glad I am reading it. I am 20%  in.  Its the best King book I read to date.  He devotes a lot of time in developing the characters, more so than his other books I read.

Hi @kcladyz .. I rad  "IT" years ago.  It is one of my favorite Stephen King books.

Valued Contributor

IT  is one of Stephen King's best - he is excellent. 11/22/63 is my favorite of his.