Super Contributor

Has anyone read this book?  I've been on the waiting list with our County library system forever to get this book.   Your opinions, please.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl wrote:

Has anyone read this book?  I've been on the waiting list with our County library system forever to get this book.   Your opinions, please.

@seaswirl- Hi. I'm waiting for my copy as well. I'm #91 of 330 holds from the e-library. There are 64 copies. I can't figure out how long I'll have to wait with a 21 (or 14) day lending period. Let's just say it will be a while!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Regular Contributor

It's on our local book club's list to read in November.  Looking forward to it.  I'm hoping it's in paperback by then.

Valued Contributor

@seaswirl wrote:

Our book club has chosen this book for our October meeting.

I read it during the summer and enjoyed it. I thought the author did a good job of creating characters, although some of the situations introduced were unsettling.

SPOILER

I learned so much about past practices for orphanages and adoption.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl I am on the Watlist at our library for this, it was a long wait, but should be here shortly!

Honored Contributor

Wow this sounds like a great book........It is rated very high on Goodreads........I will have to watch for it!

Honored Contributor

I saw it recently on Goodreads as well but my library had not ordered yet.  Just checked again after reading this new thread and they have now ordered.  #4 in line.  It does sound like a winner.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@seaswirl wrote:

@seaswirl- Hi. I'm waiting for my copy as well. I'm #91 of 330 holds from the e-library. There are 64 copies. I can't figure out how long I'll have to wait with a 21 (or 14) day lending period. Let's just say it will be a while!

@sunala my library a few months ago went to the 21 day length instead of 14 and it drives me insane.  Yesterday when I checked out a ton of new books I thought she said Nov. for the return date and said WHAT?  I will go crazy waiting that long for books on hold.  She did say Sept. 27th but my eyes were focused on all my new pretties i did not hear correctly. (books) Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@seaswirl wrote:

@sunala my library a few months ago went to the 21 day length instead of 14 and it drives me insane.  Yesterday when I checked out a ton of new books I thought she said Nov. for the return date and said WHAT?  I will go crazy waiting that long for books on hold.  She did say Sept. 27th but my eyes were focused on all my new pretties i did not hear correctly. (books) Heart

@beckyb1012-  my library always offered 21 day loans of ebooks, but lately they've added a note that says if a book is VERY popular, they can lower it to a 14 day loan. To me, that's good AND bad. I don't always get to start the book as soon as I get it, so sometimes it's tough to read it within the 14 day period. But, the good about it is that I only have to wait 14 days for each book that's on hold ahead of me, so I can get my held book faster. So it's all good and bad, either way.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I read Before We Were Yours, and learned so much about sleazy adoption practices.......and the effect it has on the little ones.  It was very sad in parts, but it does open the readers' eyes.  I won't go into more detail, but I would definitely recommend it.