Trusted Contributor

I just finished it, and it was fantastic!  Sad and difficult to read in some places, as the orphans were very maltreated.  But a very good story that I won't soon forget.

Valued Contributor

Read it and loved it. Quite an eye opener about adoption practices.

Esteemed Contributor

Finally, I just got it today. I'm looking forward to reading it!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: "Before We Were Yours"

[ Edited ]

I just finished the book.  It's hard to believe this shameful orphanage was allowed to exist as long as it did.  It was basically child trafficking, and so many people seemed to be aware of it and either looked the other way or actively supported it. 

The book did a really good job of portraying the horrors of the orphanage, and I was really caught up in that part of the book, but the present day story didn't quite work for me. 

Super Contributor

This is on my "list" to read. Several years ago, the book club I was in (which disbanded a couple years ago) read The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann by Barbara Raymond.  I live in Memphis and was horrified to learn about what all went on, but I'm glad I read it. 

Respected Contributor

@bella-luna wrote:

This is on my "list" to read. Several years ago, the book club I was in (which disbanded a couple years ago) read The Baby Thief: The Untold Story of Georgia Tann by Barbara Raymond.  I live in Memphis and was horrified to learn about what all went on, but I'm glad I read it. 

@bella-luna  I'm glad I read this book, too. After I finished it, I read some further articles about the orphanage and Georgia Tann (what a horrible person). This book was an eye opener.  How people can be so cruel to the vulnerable!

Honored Contributor

I read it in 4 sittings over the weekend, it was that good. Very cruel and sad, but I can certainly see how something like that can go on for years, when the poor has no voice and cruel people with connections exploit them.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

@seaswirl wrote:

Has anyone read this book?  I've been on the waiting list with our County library system forever to get this book.   Your opinions, please.

@seaswirl- Hi. I'm waiting for my copy as well. I'm #91 of 330 holds from the e-library. There are 64 copies. I can't figure out how long I'll have to wait with a 21 (or 14) day lending period. Let's just say it will be a while!

@sunala my library a few months ago went to the 21 day length instead of 14 and it drives me insane.  Yesterday when I checked out a ton of new books I thought she said Nov. for the return date and said WHAT?  I will go crazy waiting that long for books on hold.  She did say Sept. 27th but my eyes were focused on all my new pretties i did not hear correctly. (books) Heart

@beckyb1012- my library has always had a 21-day lending period, but recently if a book is VERY popular, they are shortening it to 14 days. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it doesn't matter how I feel about it. It is what it is. If there are 20 people waiting per book, with a 3-week lending period it could conceivably take over a year to get the book! Not that it matters; I can always get it from the library in a shorter time, but I sure love reading it on my Kindle!

Esteemed Contributor

This book really upset me. The sadness of how this cruelty could happen to all these poor innocent children was so hard to accept as reality and not fiction.

I kept waiting to read that Camellia turned up...

Beautifully written book. I wish it were total fiction.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Before We Were Yours"

[ Edited ]

I’m on the library ebook wait list.  This theme sounds similar to the movie Philomena which was about a British orphanage, run by nuns, who treated the young pregnant women and babies horribly:/