Honored Contributor

"A Man Called Ove" - spoilers - what did you love best about it?

It's one of my favorite books ever.  I love Ove so much and the cat and his neighbors, and I love the many indelible images in the book.  

My favorite image is one I will never forget:  the overweight lonely guy next door defrosting the cat in his rolls of fat.  The mental picture!  That cat!  Heart

Also the little girl coloring everyone else in black and white but Ove in color.  :melt:

Honored Contributor

Re: "A Man Called Ove" - spoilers - what did you love best about it?

I loved this book so very much, in the beginning it broke my heart when I realized Ove's wife

was dead, but the story of how he and the other characters changed each others lives, was

wonderful. I cried like a baby at the end. Did you know that the author has a new book out ?

It's called " My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell She's Sorry, " . It's on my kindle but I haven't

read it yet.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are so many things to love.  I love how you gradually find out each layer of Ove's life.  I love how the cat just adjusts to whatever is happening, especially riding in the car.  I love how Parvaneh keeps interrupting Ove's plans every day.  I love how tenacious Ove is in righting wrongs.  I love the arguments over the Saab vs. the Volvo.  I love how we got to know Sonja even though she had died.  So many memorable moments!

@LoriLori Thanks for starting this post!

Contributor

Add me to the list of people who LOVED this book.

Ove got more loveable as the book went on and I adored him by the end!!!  I like others did not want this book to end!!!

By far my favorite book of the year!!!

Trusted Contributor

Ove is a story of my husband.   When he had to take over the trailer I had to laugh out loud cause my hubby doesn't think any one can drive one like he can. even tho he fell back off of one and required shoulder surgery and kicked the hitch and messed up his leg.   He is also the great enforcer and will zoom around a parking lot to get that parking place.  I kept reading itboutmloudvto him but he didn't see himself as Ove at all which would be typically Ove.  Lol

Honored Contributor

@smoky22, you're welcome, I was actually going off your idea of discussing individual books.

I forgot to say I also love how the lonely neighbor who defrosted the cat in his fat* got married in the end!  Didn't see that coming.

("defrosted the cat in his fat" -- just the words are making me squeeee)

Also loved how something went wrong every time he tried to kil himself, allowing for him to to live the life more meaningful than he ever imagined without Sonya.  

Esteemed Contributor

"Also loved how something went wrong every time he tried to kill himself, allowing for him to to live the life more meaningful than he ever imagined without Sonya."  LoriLori

That goes along with the thought that Ove had given up on life but life didn't give up on Ove. 

I felt like he had spent so much of his life dedicated to taking care of his wife that, once she was gone, he felt like his life no longer had purpose. Once he realized he was still needed, and even loved by others, he became content with sticking around. Ove seemed like a guy who blossomed when confronted with a cause and, once he took responsibility for the cause, he never gave up.

He needed a reason to live but didn't realize it. Luckily the reasons found him. 

I think it was you, LoriLori, that first recommended this book. Soon, others were singing its praises as well. I didn't want to feel left out, so I read it too and really enjoyed it. Thank you! 

Respected Contributor

What a great recommendation.  I will definitely check out "A Man Called Ove" for my Kindle.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2, you're quite welcome.  But who recommended it to me?  It seems to me I read about it here but I get info on books from several places so...?  Somewhere out there I owe someone or some thing (Amazon email?  I do feel like it was someone here on this board) a big thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the unlikely friendships-never in a million years would I have thought he would befriend these people. I loved how Parv kept pestering him. You would have thought she'd be put off. She kept at it, gradually wearing him down. Taking her to the hospital blew my mind. Why would he do that?? Because deep down inside I think, was a very kind man. One just had to dig for him.  As someone else said, finding out the wife was dead was a surprise. I mean, I was shocked, the way the author did it. I will also say, when starting the book, I thought, 'this isn't for me.' But then the laughs started and I'm thinking how often I feel like Ove. Seeing people park where they don't belong, etc. I just don't care enough to do/say anything. I loved the cat and how he just couldn't let it die. What's not to l-OVE. Thanks, lori, you're the reason I kept on going.