Respected Contributor

Re: please suggest a good British detective series

Peter Robinson-DCI Banks series.  Also, check out the Outer Hebrides series by Peter May.

Esteemed Contributor

thanks for all the suggestions, y'all.

our library has been closed for months so I've been buying books on eBay.

this gives me a great list to work on.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

Albert Campion Series by Margery Allingham

Regular Contributor

On supersale today on Amazon -- Kindle Daily Deal Books -- is a set of 3 of the Patricia Wentworth books re Miss Silver that @JCath mentioned above.  Total of $4 for all three books.  Again, this is a today only deal for Amazon Kindle Books.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

I like to read detective series set in Great Britain or Ireland with recurring characters and continuing scenarios.

I've read all of Deborah Crombie, Jill McGown, Elizabeth George, Anne Cleeland, P.D. James, Elly Griffith, Robert Bryndza, Anne Cleves, Tana French, Kate Atkinson and a few more.

I read one or two Ian Rankin's books but the main character didn't interest me.

does anyone have recommendations?

@MariotaMurielle 

Since you've read many of those series, and I'm looking for a new one, genuinely curious, what is it about those series that you like?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, so many reasons why I like those types of series. a few reasons....I love a good mystery and the process of solving them. my husband is retired law enforcement and police procedural has always interested me. the recurring complex characters are more interesting to me than random people with no depth. also, genealogy is one of my hobbies and the detailed description of the villages and the geography of the areas is like going to the places that so many of my ancestors were from.

if you've never read Elly Griffiths' Dr. Ruth Galloway books, that would be a good place to start. the setting is northern England. Dr. Galloway is a funny, self effacing woman in her forties with a PhD in forensic archeology who gets involved with assisting the local police in solving murders.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

y CannellRe: please suggest a good British detective series

Dorothy Cannell wrote a series of mysteries stories which are light hearted and fun to read.  The main character, Ellie Haskell, is an interior designer, married to a chef and the murders are centered around their village in England.  Ellie obssesses about being overweight and her husband is gorgeous so that adds to her anxieties.  I've enjoyed every one of the books.

Regular Contributor

I enjoyed the Robert Galbraith series (that's JK Rowling writing as Galbraith).  

Respected Contributor

I love Kate Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie books, starting with Case Histories. (Anyone who can title a book “Started Early, Took My Dog” is a good writer lol!). Those books are favorites of mine. 

Right now, I’m reading Martha Grimes and her Inspector Jury books (there are 25 books, from 1981 to 2019). I’ve read about 5 of them so far.

I enjoyed the Shetland and Vera tv series on PBS, and I want to read the books that they were based on, by Ann Cleeves.

Frequent Contributor

Try flavia de Luce series or Dorothy sayers books.  I also like mysteries by Anthony horowitz