Honored Contributor

I just miss our library.  It's closed for now.  They redid some of the building and I miss it an enormous amount.  Don't take yours for granted.  I'll be so glad to see it reopen again.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal    I so agree -  My nearest libary was closed for construction for over a year, but long before Covid so I could drive 10 minutes to another branch.

Now, it's open but with limited services so far.  I miss being able to sit to read newspapers and magazines - and that's even though I read some on line.  Print is a different experience.   I also miss several of what used to be monthly programs -  especially speakers and movies on a huge screen.   

Esteemed Contributor

We used to a lovely new building that was also used for a lot of community events.  Miss it.  Still there but I am not sure if it is open.  

Honored Contributor

I used to love our library, but they remodeled, downsized the books and upsized the computer section, and have become more of a center for causes and ideas than books and all book lovers.

Basically they see themselves as a social services and change agency now, and books and reading are tangential to that effort. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I used to love our library, but they remodeled, downsized the books and upsized the computer section, and have become more of a center for causes and ideas than books and all book lovers.

Basically they see themselves as a social services and change agency now, and books and reading are tangential to that effort. 

@Sooner  I haven't been since all this started so I don't know what's going on with ours except they've been trying to raise money for a new one but are not succeeding. I'm not sure what you said yours has turned into. Can you explain? The librarians are doing this?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner  I haven't been since all this started so I don't know what's going on with ours except they've been trying to raise money for a new one but are not succeeding. I'm not sure what you said yours has turned into. Can you explain? The librarians are doing this?

@proudlyfromNJ Emphasis on computers for anyone to use with little restrictions, computer classes, yoga, ecology and recycling events and field trips, resources and databases for businesses, health and wellness classes, meditation, phone classes, lego clubs, and on and on.

There is not so much any more about books, books online and new book choices, etc etc.  It just seems that reading is no longer a big emphasis of the "library."  Which is puzzling to me.  And they have lots more space and less space devoted to books.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ Emphasis on computers for anyone to use with little restrictions, computer classes, yoga, ecology and recycling events and field trips, resources and databases for businesses, health and wellness classes, meditation, phone classes, lego clubs, and on and on.

There is not so much any more about books, books online and new book choices, etc etc.  It just seems that reading is no longer a big emphasis of the "library."  Which is puzzling to me.  And they have lots more space and less space devoted to books.  

@Sooner  Ok, got it now. We had some of those things(not that many) but usually at night in another room. They did have guest authors speaking at times. I need to go back. I normally read at least three or four books a week till everything closed up. I hope mine still has some books I haven't read!

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

I could not tell from your statement below if you have possibly checked out the online system for library books. It opens up so much more to read then just what is in that one particular branch.