Honored Contributor

Re: new Louise Penny series on Amazon!

I was so looking forward to this as I read all but 1 or 2 of Louise Penney's books after reading about them here of course!

Anyway, I got through about 15 minutes. Though I do like Alfred Molina as Gamache, it just seemed so slow and depressing too!

Maybe I'm just not in the mood right now so I went back to watching Hallmark's movie favorites! I love this live version of all of Hallmarks favorite Christmas-it has christmas music and demonstrations of crafts and cookies during breaks instead of commercials! Found free on the Roku channel and Youtube!

Sorry little off topic hereSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read all 18 Louise Penny mysteries featuring Gamache. I was disappointed with most of the Amazon production. First is that the village of Three Pines is such an integral part of the books. The setting on TV in no way resembles the beauty and magic of the place. I kept thinking that whoever put this series together either didn't read the books or just didn't get it. Casting was also a problem. Molina is a good actor but he doesn't resemble the descriptions that are so often mentioned in Penny's books. Despite the fact that all the characters are Québécois, not all the actors have the accent, especially Molina. The stories have nothing to do with the books. I kept wondering how they could change page-turner books into lifeless productions.

Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 @I watched the Still Life production and thought it was terrible too so I didn't know what to expect with the series.

I watched the first two episodes of Three Pines.  My biggest concern was the choice for Gamache.  I like the choice.  He is as I imaged him to be, although without the accent.  I enjoyed the first two episodes and will continue to watch.  For me, the lead character choice makes it a go or no go.  I stopped watching Bosch because the lead looked nothing like I imagined him to be.

I am Canadian and, like Vivian, I know the Eastern Townships of Quebec after having spent six weeks there on An academic course.  To me, a book is always better than a movie/series.  I don't know why that is the case but it is.  I will keep watching and I expect the series to improve as we settle into the characters.  LM

Respected Contributor

Lilysmom1, I enjoyed your comments.

Believe it or not, I have not yet watched the new series! I'm a bit afraid, I think. And that's ridiculous. 

I'll watch the first episode today.

Valued Contributor

I have watched  and enjoyed all of the episodes so far.

All of the characters are close to how I have managed them with the exception of Beauvoir, whom I didn't picture as handsome when I read the books.

I am currently reading A World of Curiousities,which is a little darker than most of the Louise Penny books that I have read.

Respected Contributor

@pateacher , I love the choice for Isabelle.  I think she is perfect.  Have you watched the series Cardinal?  It is based on the book Forty Words for Sorrow by Giles Blunt (who I love!). The choice for the lead is perfect as is the choice for his sidekick, Lisa Delorme.  The author and production are Canadian.  If you haven't read or seen it, read the book first.  I highly recommend.  LM

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Thanks for the recommendation.  Did you realize that Isabelle was a native Canadian?  I can't remember reading that in any of Penny's books.  I think Ruth Zardo is spot on.

Respected Contributor

@pateacher , no I didn't know she was aboriginal.  I agree, they did a very good job on acting choices.  I am about half way through A World of Curiosities.  LM

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

I finished A World of Curiosities in the wee hours - just couldn't wait!

l really enjoyed all the twists, turns, and loose threads tied together by the end. Hope we don't have to wait too long before Penny takes her readers back to Three Pines.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Watch it now.. I have seen the first 4 episodes, 2 more are available. I like it. There's age and ethnic diversity in it. I haven't read the books and that is a good thing for me. I can watch and not mentally compare it to the books.