Honored Contributor

just finished The Bird Box

[ Edited ]

You know that feeling you have walking up the stairs out of dark basement?  You have the light in front of you, and you're trying not to think of the dark behind you.  Just get to the top so you can swing the door shut?  And you're walking as quickly as you can......

This book is like that same feeling, except there is no light to get to.  The entire world is like that.  Something has made the earth like this. This is a dystopian story, but it's not quite clear the reason why. The book centers around a group of people hold up in a house.

This book is being made in a major film, so this book might be a distraction with all the ahead hype of the book.  Anyway I really enjoyed this.  Very scary.  Also am trying not to think of it when I go to bed.....

Respected Contributor

Re: just finished The Bird Box

@songbird wrote:

You know that feeling you have walking up the stairs out of dark basement?  You have the light in front of you, and you're trying not to think of the dark behind you.  Just get to the top so you can swing the door shut?  And you're walking as quickly as you can......

This book is like that same feeling, except there is no light to get to.  The entire world is like that.  Something has made the earth like this. This is a dystopian story, but it's not quite clear the reason why. The book centers around a group of people hold up in a house.

This book is being made in a major film, so this book might be a distraction with all the ahead hype of the book.  Anyway I really enjoyed this.  Very scary.  Also am trying not to think of it when I go to bed.....

@songbird

It's streaming on Netflix.  Not a Sandra Bullock fan and since you've described the content of the story, will definitely not watch. 

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird, interesting review.  Should I read the book or watch the movie???  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@songbird, interesting review.  Should I read the book or watch the movie???  LM

I have no idea.  I don't have Netflix.  Don't know how faithful they are to the book.  

Trusted Contributor

I watch the movie and there were parts that were entertaining, but for the most part I thought it was dumb. 

For those of you who read the book, I know the book is always better than the movie,  what was the  shadow?

Honored Contributor

@songbird

Since you've read the book can you shed some light on this ridiculous and very dangerous Bird Box Challenge fad?  Netflix is getting the blame but did this start with the book?  I can't imagine what would make people drive with a blindfold on, etc.  People have been hurt, maybe even died.  TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the movie on Netflix several weeks back. It was entertaining enough. It reminded me of the movie The Happening. 

I read one news story where a person tried to duplicate driving in a car, and not being able to see out of it like one of the scenes in the movie. I am not sure why Netflix is being blamed for peoples stupidity. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was at my sister-in-law's house during the holidays, and we watched the move "The Bird Box." It was interesting, but not one of my favorites.. It's only  matter of time before someone files an injury lawsuit while trying to duplicate the movie. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't read the book, but I watched the movie.

I kept reading rave reviews about how the movie was so terrifying. The only terrifying thing is that I wasted two hours of my time on such an overhyped movie.

As someone else mentioned, its plot is very much like The Happening. If you've seen that, you've pretty much seen Birdbox.

I read that they did film the monsters/creatures/shadows .....whatever, but then decided it was best for the movie not to show them.

Too bad, maybe the movie would've been more interesting.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I watched the movie on Netflix several weeks back. It was entertaining enough. It reminded me of the movie The Happening. 

I read one news story where a person tried to duplicate driving in a car, and not being able to see out of it like one of the scenes in the movie. I am not sure why Netflix is being blamed for peoples stupidity. 

@icezeus  It's a fad.  And that idiot girl in Utah who crashed intto two cars  driving blind-folded.  I poked around and saw more of this.  Youtube banned videos showing people taking "The Birdbox Challenge." 

That's why I wondered what was in the book that led to it (since the movie came second) -- but I didn't get an answer.  Now I just found the answer on an Australian web site and they show examples in the article:

In the book (and movie) there's a part where the mother and her children have to wear blindfolds to avoid creatures who enter your body when you look at them.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/netflix-says-dont-do-the-stupid-bird-box-challenge/...