Honored Contributor

My sister is legally blind, she gets audible books from her local library.

Honored Contributor

How about trying audiobooks?  I really like them.  I like to listen to them while I do housework.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

If it's just one eye, try using an eye patch over the bad eye while you're reading. I lost my right eye when I was six and you can read fine with just one eye. Block out the bad eye and let the good one do the job.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

i do thisto read the newspaper and it really strains my eye.  the dr said just give it some time

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover 

I’d feel frustrated too!

After all...

when our independence is threatened

and we are told we cannot do the things we like

to do

It is disheartening.

I will send prayers to you that your eye situation 

will heal

Heart Hugs 🤗 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I would also suggest Scribd.  They have many audio books and it is cheaper than Audible.   Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry abut your eye problems.  I wish you a full & speedy recovery!

I always used to think that a detached retina was rare but it seems that it's not so rare after all.  I've been hearing about more & more people having this....or maybe it's just because I'm getting older that I notice others who have it.

As others have mentioned look into audio books.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
@shortbreadlover

I totally understand how you feel as I have had two eye surgeries within 8 months, first one was for a vitrectomy and then most recently a detached retina in same eye. For both surgeries had to keep my head down for 8-10 days. Watching YouTube videos is what helped me pass the time. I had gas bubbles for both surgeries. Long story short, finally able to read a book but only if the font is dark enough and large enough for me. Otherwise, have to use ereader where I am able to adjust font and background color. I had prepared prior to my surgery with many audible books. Even though your recovery is quite long, I hope it will be successful for you.
Honored Contributor

She said she’s not into audiobooks and doesn’t think those would work for her.