Trusted Contributor

i love to read and i work in a library.  well, i had surgey twice for a detached retina.  they had to put a buclke ieye and silcone oil  for 6 months and i can't read.  i had all of these really good books on hoid and i had to turn them back becuase i can't really sit down and read as i would like. really makes me frustrated

Valued Contributor

Re: i am so discouraged

[ Edited ]

Hi shortbreadlover:

So sorry to read about your eye dilemma, but there are talking books available where they speak the story to you, perhaps your Library also has these as I know bookstores carry them. They are known as audio books.

I hope this helps and good luck, may your vision be restored soon.

Super Contributor

I'm sorry you are struggling with eye issues. I'm sure it is frustrating.

As an avid reader myself, I'd feel disheartened too.

Have you looked into Audio books? Perhaps that will satisfy you during your healing period and help the time pass quicker. Best wishes.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

It sounds like the surgery was a necessary evil in this regard.  Your love of reading has been interrupted only temporarily, don't let it get you down.  You'll be reading again in no time - keep your eye on the prize!

Honored Contributor

As an avid reader and lover of books, I can sympathize with your issue.  As the other posters suggested, there are audio books to get you through.  I wish you well and a speedy recovery!  

Respected Contributor

This is very frustrating but do go to audio books- they are great.  DH having eye problems and he is/ was an avid reader but has had to switch to audio books lately - they work very well for him. Give them a try most libraries carry them now.  

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover  Audible has a 30 day free trial...you could check it out and see if it's something you would like. I think the fee is $14.95/month for 3 books a month and the books can rollover. I have used audible for years...especially when I am sick or travelling long distances.

There are other means besides audible that are out there. Does the library have a section of books on tape? That might be another alternative. Hope all goes well on your journey to healing.

Valued Contributor

Go to youtube.com and type in audible books and quite a few displaySmiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover , sorry to read this.  Like you, I love to read.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  LM

Trusted Contributor

thanks for the ideas.  i guess i am just old  fashioned.  books on tape are just not for me.  i like holdinga book and the feelof theook and the smell.