Respected Contributor

Re: has anyone read Spare yet?

So despite Harry's 21 million pound inheritance from Diana - this is how he describes his financial situation when he and Meghan leave the RF.

"I recognized the absurdity, a man in his mid thirties being financially cut off by his father.  But Pa wasn't merely my father, he was my boss, my banker, my comptroller, keeper of the purse strings.  Cutting me off threfore meant firing me, without redundancy pay and casting me into the void after a lifetime of service.

I felt fatted for the slaughter.  Suckled ike a veal calf.  I never asked to financially dependent on Pa.  I'd been forced into this surreal state.....After decades of being regorously and systematically infantalized, I was now abruptly anbandoned and mocked for not standing on my own two feet.

The question of how to pay for a home and security kept Meghan and me awake at night.  We could always spend some of my  inheritance from Mummy, we said, but that felt like a last resort."

Yes I can definitely see how having only twenty one million pounds would keep them up at night worrying about how they could possibly survive.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

So despite Harry's 21 million pound inheritance from Diana - this is how he describes his financial situation when he and Meghan leave the RF.

"I recognized the absurdity, a man in his mid thirties being financially cut off by his father.  But Pa wasn't merely my father, he was my boss, my banker, my comptroller, keeper of the purse strings.  Cutting me off threfore meant firing me, without redundancy pay and casting me into the void after a lifetime of service.

I felt fatted for the slaughter.  Suckled ike a veal calf.  I never asked to financially dependent on Pa.  I'd been forced into this surreal state.....After decades of being regorously and systematically infantalized, I was now abruptly anbandoned and mocked for not standing on my own two feet.

The question of how to pay for a home and security kept Meghan and me awake at night.  We could always spend some of my  inheritance from Mummy, we said, but that felt like a last resort."

Yes I can definitely see how having only twenty one million pounds would keep them up at night worrying about how they could possibly survive.

This guy doesn’t have a clue. @Isobel Archer  He grew up in the lap of luxury, and he is still benefiting from it. It’s not his father’s fault he decided to defect. All actions have a consequence. Did he really think he could step back and still collect?

Respected Contributor

It's funny. At one point he says he'd be happy being a ski instructor - but his family would never allow such a thing.

Then when he's free, he suddenly can't fathom how he can survive on 21 million pounds.

Maybe he though he could be a ski instructor and still have all the royal money and other benefits at his disposal too.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

Funny how the simple topic of a book has devolved into this discussion.

Those who doubt his version of events think those who believe it are worshipping "Saint Harry", instead of just cutting him some slack on how he remembers events.  I doubt many of us could recall, with absolute clarity, all the events and timings of things in our past.  I couldn't.

I will revert to my former (first) post.  I have nothing else to say on this except - I do not and never will believe everything I read (past tense) in the tabloid papers of Britain.  (And I was living there while most of the "stories" were being written.  Even photos were sometimes shown to have been "old" and not taken at the times stated.  Court cases are interesting.)

As I said, I'm done.  Carry on and stay calm!

Harry’s perception of events is valid. We all see things through our own filtered lens. But don’t confuse truth with perception. An event either happened or it didn’t. That is the truth. Now how it is perceived is the question. Two brothers, a few years apart will see the same event different. It doesn’t change the event.  

The Queen mother passed, and Harry was either skiing or at school. Very easy to clear up. How he was told, and how it made him feel is totally different. His experience is unique and valid.

@manny2 The validated point seems that he is all about Harry.  He had a small room?  Oh the horror.  Whether or not it is truth or his perception so much of it is so petty.  What THEY did to him.  What about what HE did?  How much does he accept blame for? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

Funny how the simple topic of a book has devolved into this discussion.

Those who doubt his version of events think those who believe it are worshipping "Saint Harry", instead of just cutting him some slack on how he remembers events.  I doubt many of us could recall, with absolute clarity, all the events and timings of things in our past.  I couldn't.

I will revert to my former (first) post.  I have nothing else to say on this except - I do not and never will believe everything I read (past tense) in the tabloid papers of Britain.  (And I was living there while most of the "stories" were being written.  Even photos were sometimes shown to have been "old" and not taken at the times stated.  Court cases are interesting.)

As I said, I'm done.  Carry on and stay calm!

Harry’s perception of events is valid. We all see things through our own filtered lens. But don’t confuse truth with perception. An event either happened or it didn’t. That is the truth. Now how it is perceived is the question. Two brothers, a few years apart will see the same event different. It doesn’t change the event.  

The Queen mother passed, and Harry was either skiing or at school. Very easy to clear up. How he was told, and how it made him feel is totally different. His experience is unique and valid.

@manny2 The validated point seems that he is all about Harry.  He had a small room?  Oh the horror.  Whether or not it is truth or his perception so much of it is so petty.  What THEY did to him.  What about what HE did?  How much does he accept blame for? 

You are 100% right  @Sooner he is entitled and spoiled. There is no doubt about it. He will have to answer to what he is doing to his family. In time he might regret this path.

His wife is nowhere to be seen supporting him. Good Luck Harry.

Respected Contributor

Manny2 he probably thought that he was a trust fund baby. He thought that the money would continue even though he left the rf. When the money didn't continue he threw the rf under the bus. After all 21 million dollars won't get you far if you are buying a 14.5 million dollar home in Montecito, California.
Respected Contributor

If only the wise ladies here could have a face-to-face sit down with Harry to set him straight with their corrective, perceptive insight. There's nothing like saying it in person, given his confusions and missteps. It is clear from reading these enlightening posts that he could actually rehabilitate himself with direct help from these discerning very knowledable snippet readers. Probably an hour appointment would suffice if they wouldn't talk all over one another while he politely listened.

Respected Contributor

Free2be getting advice from a message board cannot be any worse than how he is leading his life right now. Somehow I doubt he would be polite in listening to suggestions. After all Harry and Meghan know best.
Respected Contributor

@lgfan  LOL!  Indeed, they do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

It's funny. At one point he says he'd be happy being a ski instructor - but his family would never allow such a thing.

Then when he's free, he suddenly can't fathom how he can survive on 21 million pounds.

Maybe he though he could be a ski instructor and still have all the royal money and other benefits at his disposal too.

Of course, he would love to be a ski instructor @Isobel Archer  if he had the royal status and money behind him. He is clueless, he has no idea how the other half lives. He thinks he is living a normal life in California.

A mansion with 17 bedrooms and bathrooms in a wealthy community is hardly normal. For him I guess its a downgrade from palace and sparkling jewels, for his wife it is an upgrade.