Trusted Contributor

I just finished reading Brave New World and came across this quote from Aldous Huxley.  Have you a quote from a writer you admire?

Aldous Huxley quote.jpg

Honored Contributor

This is a quote from Jane .Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, “ If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more. “

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Re: famous writers quotes

[ Edited ]

Wow - there are SO many great ones that come to mind. Here are two of my favorites:

"Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed." Red Smith

"Write drunk. Edit sober." Ernest Hemingway

@newname0LOVE this idea for a thread! Thank you for starting it.

Frequent Contributor

"When someone shows you who the are, believe them the first time".  Maya Angelou

"Sleep in peace, God is awake".  Victor Hugo

"Sometimes you will never know the value of something until it becomes a memory".  Dr. Seuss

I could go on and on, but I'll stop with these.  

Great Question.

Trusted Contributor

There is another quote by Huxley that I liked and was helpful to me when I brooded over something I felt I did that was wrong.

It was "On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean." 

It seemed to make so much sense to me.

Trusted Contributor
@Wendy Lou Hoo I had never heard that Victor Hugo quote...So fantastic! That would be so beautiful on a gravestone. (Not trying to be morbid, sorry!) Thank you for posting it.

"If I know what love is, it's because of you." Herman Hesse
"We were together, I forget the rest." Walt Whitman
Honored Contributor

@newname0 

Great topic.  Love all the quotes above.  Thanks for starting this thread!  Thought you might like this one that's a year old.  More great quotes.  Can never get enough of them!  Smiley Happy.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Book-Club/Titles-or-First-Lines/m-p/4532374/highlight/true#M14809

Honored Contributor

"Reader, I married him" -- Jane Eyre

"I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I bet I'd be darling at it" --

Dorothy Parker

Respected Contributor

This is from Thomas Wolfe's, "You Can't Go Home Again":

"For this is one belief, one faith, that is man's glory, his triumph, his immortality- and that is his belief in life".

Trusted Contributor

I can't find the author of this quote right now,even online, but it was from a book of advice to beginning writers.  To me it has always applied to much more than writing or even painting:

"Don't worry about trying to find the BIG subject.  Chagall painted pots and pans and made art.  A thousand painters have failed with Christ."