Honored Contributor

Re: deeply sad message from Frederik Backman

@house_cat  @abbalulu 

It's not available for preorder yet.  It's scheduled to be published here on Halloween and I hope it's right on schedule.  I'll be stalking it and I'll let you know. 

I stumbled onto it when I went onto Intagram hoping to see a picture of his favorite sandwich -- which he describes in "Things My Son..." and is not to be believed -- and there it was.  Also the sandwich, multiple photos of versions of the sandwich and lots of other food LOL.

It was published in Sweden in April 25th.  As I said it's about an incident he writes about in "Things My Son..." -- if you don't buy books I hope your libraries get that one so you can read it, it's so loveable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@LoriLori  - I'll give his new one a try as long as it's not about Britt and rats and hockey!

@sunala 

No Britt, no rats (I'm horribly afraid of rodents  I worked hard to put that aside for Britt), no soccer and ETA no hockey!!! 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @LoriLori  I will keep my eyes open for an update.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori,  I didn't see this thread and the link until you posted here on 5/12.    I was so moved by Fredrik Backman's message that my tears separated me from words to write.    Even now the emotion revisits.   Many Community members saw my posts months ago about my ongoing struggle with depression, anxiety, suicide attempts, and hospitalizations, and I am another human being who can identify with emotional fragility.   

Not something easy to discuss, and for years I didn't disclose it here on the forums.    I want to thank you for sharing the link and bringing us closer to understanding and compassion.❤️

I also want to extend my love, prayers, and support to all who have the same challenges...  and especially to dear and brave (((@CareBears))) -- you are in my heart, dear lady, and I will hold you close in my thoughts.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori @dooBdoo 

I don't remember a lot of books that I read and because of the monthly thread I found A Man Called Ove. Read the first chapter - a cranky old man kicking tires and checking door handles on garages. This is it? I continued reading and suddenly was pulled into this magical world of the mundane intercepted with heartbreak, laughter and love. Nothing is overt as a tidalwave but ripples of real life. HIs book stayed with me as many are forgotten as soon as the last page is turned.

I was so addened to read his msg several months ago. I don't know much about depression but pray that he will be safe and if that means not writing another book, so be it. We can reread and be grateful.

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey   He has the new one out now (I know, my post was long!) "Things My Son..." which is from 2012 when his son was young and he's got a new one, "Anxious People," based on an incident he talks about in the new one and it's out in Sweden and a bestseller and it's not a funny incident, the only one in the book that's not funny -- but "Anxious People" (which won't be out until October) is said to have the same types of humor as Ove.

@dooBdoo   I did not see your posts and I wish I had, if only to know you better, give you cyber hugs, maybe would have shared, maybe not.   I think I would not have the words, you brave soul, and @CareBears  but please know, Doob, that I will always be pulling for your happiness and peace of mind (and Carebear's)  I know it's a fluid thing and I hope most of your moments are contented 

Honored Contributor

❤️@Yahooey 

❤️@LoriLori 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@LoriLori Reading this just breaks my heart, but I do know how he feels, and after reading it, I have even more respect for him.  I suffer with severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and social phobia.  How this man does what he does is above being brave, he is an extremely strong person.  When you suffer with what he does, just getting out of bed every day is extremely hard, especially when you are under a great amount of stress.  He is very lucky that his family and friends support him, my family have dropped me like a hot potato, and want nothing to do with me, even though one of my nieces suffer also, they support her, but they have labeled me a freak and dangerous.  I would never hurt another living thing, people judge so harshly without knowing any of the facts and that is what is so painful.  That is why I am such an avid reader it helps me escape my reality, and I can enter into other places to submerge myself into happier worlds, where no one is judging you and labeling you.  I will pray for Frerdrik Backman but now can understand why his books always touch my heart as they do, he literally is putting his soul into each book which is a very brave way to write.

I am sorry about your family.  I do not know you but please know that you are not a freak or dangerous.  

Labels are dangerous.  People usually are not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sending my friend @CareBears some pixie dust 

I know that's from Peter Pan but I don't know what it is called in CareBears land but I wanted to say I miss you since I don't read as much as I used to - (monthly book thread)

sening healing hugs and much love 💚❤️💛💙💜

giphy.gif