Respected Contributor

comments I should have made earlier

A while back, someone posted a thread that was negative towards Kate Morton's latest book (The Clockmaker's Daughter). I love Kate Morton, and said I would offer my thoughts when I finished the book.

Well, I finished it a few weeks ago, but could not find the original post. So, to the person who wrote the negative comments: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. I just wasn't getting into any of the stories (Morton usually keeps a few plotlines going). 

The first plot presented (concerning the upcoming wedding of Elodie--whose name I hated. . .a Bridezilla who was planning on having tapes of her now-deceased mother playing--she was a cellist, I think--while she walked down the aisle--you can see how tedious all this is)   was of no interest to me, and so it continued. Finally, around page 200, I connected to a plot, but only to that one. It was a tortuous read, but I had to keep going--because it was Kate Morton.

I also wanted to comment on Where the Crawdads Sing--this was brought up many weeks ago: WHAT A GLORIOUS BOOK! It's my favorite so far this year. I had to buy it in hardback, it's that valuable to me.

And lastly, thanks to everyone who gave great remarks about Isaac Mizrahi's book: it is truly exceptional.

(I hope to stay more current with my remarks: it's been a challenging year for me so far.)

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: comments I should have made earlier

This is off topic, but I thought I'd share.  We always talk about the books we reccommend.  Our library is hosting a group this month and the topic is what was the worst book you ever read.   I can't wait to see the differences of opinion and the discussions that come out of it.  I'm sure there are many books that some think are the worst ever and others loved.

Respected Contributor

Should also add, my worst book was the shipping news.  I just could never get into that book.....it was one of my bookclub entries a few years back.  Hated everything about it.

Valued Contributor

I respectfully disagree with your review of The Clockmaker’s Daughter. I loved it. I’ve read all of Kate Morton’s books and this is my favorite. Also, Elodie was an anti-bridezilla. She was a young woman coming to the realization that she was about to marry a man she didn’t love; therefore, she had no interest in wedding planning.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

A while back, someone posted a thread that was negative towards Kate Morton's latest book (The Clockmaker's Daughter). I love Kate Morton, and said I would offer my thoughts when I finished the book.

Well, I finished it a few weeks ago, but could not find the original post. So, to the person who wrote the negative comments: I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU. I just wasn't getting into any of the stories (Morton usually keeps a few plotlines going). 

The first plot presented (concerning the upcoming wedding of Elodie--whose name I hated. . .a Bridezilla who was planning on having tapes of her now-deceased mother playing--she was a cellist, I think--while she walked down the aisle--you can see how tedious all this is)   was of no interest to me, and so it continued. Finally, around page 200, I connected to a plot, but only to that one. It was a tortuous read, but I had to keep going--because it was Kate Morton.

I also wanted to comment on Where the Crawdads Sing--this was brought up many weeks ago: WHAT A GLORIOUS BOOK! It's my favorite so far this year. I had to buy it in hardback, it's that valuable to me.

And lastly, thanks to everyone who gave great remarks about Isaac Mizrahi's book: it is truly exceptional.

(I hope to stay more current with my remarks: it's been a challenging year for me so far.)

@insomniac2  I just wanted to say I enjoyed your review of the Kate Morton book. No, I haven't read it but your review was great-you have a way with words-hope your year takes a turn for all good things.