Trusted Contributor

branch library that i work at

chapman.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: branch library that i work at

@shortbreadlover  Lucky you, it's beautiful.  My daughter's boyfriend's mother is manager (whatever it's called) for all of the libraries in the town I live in.

She gets to pick the books that will sit on the shelves.  I said to her, "You must be a fast reader and love to read".  She laughed and said, "Well, not really.  I usually only get to scan over them, read the synopsis and move on.

Then she said (still laughing), "I seldom get to read a book in it's entirety".  Ha!

I love, love books and the English language...period.  I love origins of works, etc.  I love (and often wonder) how do I know to use one word and not another.  Example, see, sea, etc.  

I think there are two people I can thank for that...my Dad who taught me to love words and all of my glorious English teachers.

THAT goes back to libraries....I love them but (unfortunately) don't get to spend much time in them anymore.

I do take my grandchildren shopping at book stores and buy them many new and used books.  My daughters have instilled in them a love for books (real paper books) like I taught them.  The legacy passes on....I'm proud of that.

If you work in a library, I say cudos to you....I hope you love your job because I think you are lucky.Heart

Respected Contributor

I love libraries.  Two are near me - one city and one county.  It's so convenient to request books online then be notified when they are available for pick up, to be able to use their printers when I need to print something from the computer, and to take a class every so often.   

Occasional Contributor

I love it!  Looks like the Carnegie library I used to go to as a kid.  I became a librarian back in the mid 90s and took a break (almost 20 years...) to raise my only child and am now looking to get back in the biz.  I hope you enjoy your work!  

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  What a beautiful place to work--lucky you!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Occasional Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I bet your local library has many wonderful programs for your grandchildren and people of all ages!!!  I hope you support your local library as their funding is often based on their circulation-how many books/CDs/DVDs/magazines are checked out each year. I am delighted to hear your daughter (and you!) have instilled a love of reading.  Thses days, libraries need all the support they can get.

(Yes, I am a librarian, lol!) 

Trusted Contributor

our library system has it's own funding that is not part of the city budget but has a tax  that is part of the property tax

this branch just had a 100 birthday last may.  so it is now 101  years old.  i hope i look that good when i am 101.

the sad thing is that the city and neighborhood have all gone down hill and we have tons o fhomeless people that come here and it is not in a good neighborhood.

Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful building.  Wish they were building this type.  Mine is only about 10 years but is very institutional looking.

Honored Contributor

A dear friend of mine (and former teacher who taught all 3 daughters) recently died.

But she started a program where in different rural areas you'll find something that might look like a little farmhouse, etc.

In it you will find books.  Those books are for people, who, for whatever reason, can't get to the library.  

When they finish reading the book, they either keep it and if they can, put in another book, or put that same book back.

My oldest daughter uses the library quite often.  All three daughters were prolific readers (as was I).  They'd go in their rooms, close the door and read.  The rule was you always had to knock before entering and they didn't have to always forgive you or let you in.

My middle daughter only wanted to read those Archie comic books (you know the thick one's at the grocer store).  The oldest mostly read fictional books about time periods.  The youngest liked huge books about witches, time travel, anything where it takes a lot of imagination.

I spent a fortune on those books (Archie should thank me).  That girl still buys those and she's ....wait for it...44 years old.

As long as they were reading, that worked for me.  I always instilled in them the importance of using one's imagination and enlarging one's vocabulary.

In the car they were either reading on we'd all 5 play word games....(that was before iphones).  They'd have to turn off their music.

Not very long ago my 3 daughters and I were remembering back.  They have some wonderful memories.

At Easter I got a card from my oldest daughter telling me (she's said this before) that all of the things Dad and I did for them (egg hunts, car trips, etc) made her a better person and taught her what a good mother should be.

That has always been amazing to me because I grew up totally without a mother.  When I got married my husband and I took 7 years to wait for children and talk about what kind of parents we would be.

With planning and luck I think we did a pretty good job.  That's not to say things were perfect or rosie, but when your kids say THEY think you did good...well...it makes you smile.

My guess is you could have written everything I did above.  My guess is you are someone I would enjoy knowing.  I love being around people who enjoy life, learning and people....I think that's probably you @disneyluvr 

ps If you live in Florida, my middle daughter lives right new Disney World.....

Regular Contributor

I also work at a library branch in the largest couny in my area.  I also love libraries and have since I worked as a shelver at my library branch as a teenager. Libraries have changed a lot over the years. People don't read as much as they used to, and DVDs are by far THE most circulated items.  Working with the public has its challenges too.  Our libraries are also very self service: check in your own items. check out your own items. get them yourself off the hold shelf. look on the computer catalog yourself. etc.  Many patrons embrace that, and many do not. Some don't want to do anything themselves - not even make a copy. Also. children have no manners and neither do adults today. It is a very me-centered society these days. Please and thank you have fallen down into the abyss. 

That is not to say I don't like my job. My co-workers are for the most part. fabulous and my hours are good and flexible if I need time off.  I love to read and keep up with the latest books. Each staff member has their forte and mine is recomending adult fiction to patrons who request it. 

However, because we are a county-wide system, our books and DVDs are processed and go right out for holds to other branches. Hardly anything new stays at the individual branches unless they have already exhausted the holds lists and most items these days have extensive lists.  For example: the Bohemian Rhapsody DVD still has 1500 holds. So as soon as one gets returned to our branch, it goes back out to another branch for someone there who is next on the hold list,  This process has its good points and its bad ones.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble about libraries, but as someone who also works at one I wanted to offer a little perspective.