Contributor

Re: Who is a good mystery writer?

Contributor

James Patterson !!
Contributor

James Patterson! Sometimes pretty forget but "can't put down" !
Trusted Contributor

PETER SWANSON.   Please read his books.  Wonderful, suspenseful, twisty well-written stories.  Excellent.

Trusted Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I loved The Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman.  There are 4 in the series and another coming out next September.  It's a mystery series but I think the beauty of it is the regular cast of characters.  

Anthony Horowitz also has a couple of series, starting with the Magpie Murders.  That's actually a story within a story so not everyone will like it.  It's now a PBS series.  

And Kate Atkinson's Case Histories is the 1st of 5 Jackson Brodie mysteries.  Case Histories is the only book I remember where I was absolutely stunned by the very last pages.  

You have great taste!!  I love these writers.  Try Peter Swanson.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cara Black is a favorite.

I've read three of her novels, all excellent.

'There's too many for me to list, here's a link to her site and summaries of her books. I purchased mine from Amazon.

*edited to remove link to carablack.com

Respected Contributor

Maximillian, I ADORE Susan Hill.

Her The Woman in Black started my addiction. I only need to find a couple more books now to will complete my joy over her exceptional gift of writing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Samantha Downing.  Among her books are: My Lovely Wife, He Started It, For Your Own Good.  Edgy mysteries, nasty characters you end up rooting for. Some of them are written in first person with a horrific event looming in front of them and the reader..... For Your Own Good will debut on Netflix this year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308 wrote:

@qualitygal, are you looking for recommendations for yourself or just a list of popular writers?

I think there are so many different sub genres in the mystery category. Perhaps you can specify the type of mysteries you enjoy, or give examples of authors that you enjoy.

More specific information can get you more specific recommendations.

Etoile3088  qualitygall   I would agree about the various categories of mystery. There are many but at the very least, I'd draw a distinction between 'cozy' mysteries, where there's a minimum of violence and are the others. I enjoy mysteries of all types. One of my current favorites, which is more of an investigative, hard boiled sort of mystery, is Cara Black and her Paris setting. With cozies, there are so many fun ones that are good mysteries, but just as many that are overly formulaic.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  I agree with a lot of the suggestions already posted. One author I would add is Sandra Brown. Her books are not necessarily page turners but are easy reads and she is a master of sassy dialogue. I have read several recently and enjoyed them all.