Respected Contributor

Re: Who is a good mystery writer?

@RollTide2008 wrote:

Stuart Woods' Stone Barrington series is a fun read.

His early stuff was good but his last couple of years were trash.  He phoned it in.

He died last summer and there's a ghost writer finishing two books.  They will be out later this year.  It will be interesting to see if they've changed.

Trusted Contributor

I loved The Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman.  There are 4 in the series and another coming out next September.  It's a mystery series but I think the beauty of it is the regular cast of characters.  

Anthony Horowitz also has a couple of series, starting with the Magpie Murders.  That's actually a story within a story so not everyone will like it.  It's now a PBS series.  

And Kate Atkinson's Case Histories is the 1st of 5 Jackson Brodie mysteries.  Case Histories is the only book I remember where I was absolutely stunned by the very last pages.  

Frequent Contributor

Louise Penny  ( I recently discovered her)

Jonathan Kellerman

Esteemed Contributor

Ann Cleeves. Her Vera Stanhope and Jimmy Perez series are both good.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

I enjoy the  Women's Murder Club Series by James Patterson and his Alex Cross series.

Daniel Silva is very good.  David Balducci.  J.A. Janice

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal, are you looking for recommendations for yourself or just a list of popular writers?

I think there are so many different sub genres in the mystery category. Perhaps you can specify the type of mysteries you enjoy, or give examples of authors that you enjoy.

More specific information can get you more specific recommendations.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

My next plan, is to get back to reading.  Found out how much a good mystery  could be.

Appreciate the suggestions.

@qualitygal My recommendation is Georges Simenon, who wrote the Inspector Maigret series (there are 75 books in the series). 

Praise for Simenon:  

“Superb . . . The most addictive of writers . . . A unique teller of tales.” —The Observer (London)

"One of the greatest writers of the 20th century . . . no other writer can set up a scene as sharply and with such economy as Simenon does . . . the conjuring of a world, a place, a time, a set of characters - above all, an atmosphere." ― Financial Times

"Gripping . . . richly rewarding . . . You'll quickly find yourself obsessing about his life as you tackle each mystery in turn."-- Stig Abell ― The Sunday Times (London)

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308  It's for me, not sure what the difference would be, but getting soon I hope, back into more reading.  So maybe a slow to building up or a series, not sure what, but a good story.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

I am finishing up a mystery/crime series set in England.  The author is SUSAN HILL.  The main character in the series is a detective chief superintendent Simon Serrailler.  There are lots of side stories, mostly about his family members and his romantic involvements.  A lot of the stories depict some of the worst characteristics in human beings; this is not really a feel-good series, but I find it very compelling.  Each book is a fast read too.  It is better if you read the books in order, but each one can be read as a "stand alone" book. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks all, I've made a list now, so I'm just going to have to check on some of these at our library.  Thank you so much!!