Esteemed Contributor

What was your VERY Favorite Book of 2019?

Being we only have a few more weeks left of 2019, and to the end of the decade as well, what were your favorite books of this past year?

I do believe my very favorite book of the year was This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger. It was really hard getting the characters out of my head. Loved it!

Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout, was another of my very favorites. I loved it to pieces!

I recently read The Towers Are Still Standing by Daniel Rosenberg. It was about the events of September 11 with an alternate reality. What if the terrorists didn't knock down the towers, but...

I thought the writing was excellent, especially for a new author. I highly recommend it. 

So let's hear your favorites...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

Re: What was your VERY Favorite Book of 2019?

Carrying the Fire, by astronaut Michael Collins.  After watching the Apollo 11 film on CNN, I was stunned at what was achieved 50 years ago.  I remember as a kid watching the moon landing but I didn't appreciate what it took to complete that mission.  I wanted to learn more about it so I researched the event and discovered Mr. Collins' book.  It is a fabulous read, and I would not typically read such a book.  It is mind boggling to learn what astronauts do for training, the path it took to become an astronaut and the extraordinary life Mr. Collins has lived.  His book is technically easy to understand, humorous, endearing, and left me wanting to shake this hero's hand!

~LdyBugz

Trusted Contributor

The best fiction book I read this year was Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand.  I also liked This Tender Land that was mentioned by the OP.

The best nonfiction book I read this year was The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  

The worst book I read this year was The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides.  

Super Contributor

Without a doubt, Summer of 69.  For someone who I believe was born in 69 and not lived it, the book was excellent.  I also liked Where the Crawdads Sing.  I am definitely going to get some of these recommendations, thanks!  📚

Respected Contributor

I always have to give two answers--one for fiction, and the other for non-fiction.

My very favorite book of fiction I read this year was We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

My very favorte book of non-fiction was the biography of Mr. Rogers (The Good

Neighbor) by Maxwell King.

Honored Contributor

" The Most Fun we Ever Had , " by. Claire Lombardo.  It's a great novel, and if you like Ann Tyler you'll like this.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

" The Most Fun we Ever Had , " by. Claire Lombardo.  It's a great novel, and if you like Ann Tyler you'll like this.

hi @QVCkitty1 - this sounds really good! I just added it to my list. Of course there's a wait list at the library for the book. Doesn't it figure? Thanks!

Super Contributor

This Tender Land is my most favorite book in 2019.  That I attended a meet and greet with the author, William Kent Krueger, in Wichita, KS, makes it even more special.  I susupect it will become an American classic. . . 

Honored Contributor

The Emerald Table by Dennis Hauck.  Love everything he writes, I've attended his workshops....such a knowledgeable humble man.

Esteemed Contributor

@lork wrote:

This Tender Land is my most favorite book in 2019.  That I attended a meet and greet with the author, William Kent Krueger, in Wichita, KS, makes it even more special.  I susupect it will become an American classic. . . 

@lork- how cool that you met the author! I've loved several of his books, but I have a long way to go to read all his Cork O"Connor mysteries. There truly are so many books to read and not enough time!