Respected Contributor

Re: What “old” books are you reading?

Franand Zoe, I'm finishing up on The Talented Mr. Ripley. LOVING IT.

Now I need to get all the sequels!

(I was very impressed to learn that Patricia Highsmith, the author, started writing about Mr. Ripley while attending a famous writing seminar. She sold the book almost immediately. Plus Alfred Hitchcock opted to make the movie!)

Honored Contributor

Gone With the Wind. The hurricane hit here a few days ago. Electricity, internet, and cable were out the day after,, not the day of. It was the only book in the house. 

The Dog of Jesus. 

Valued Contributor

I really enjoy books with continuing characters.I agree with post,Louise Penny is a great writer.Her adjectives have me right in that beautiful town.
Mitford series & Father Tim books by Jan Karon are some of my favorite.
The Covington Sisters I could read again.
Respected Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Franand Zoe, I'm finishing up on The Talented Mr. Ripley. LOVING IT.

Now I need to get all the sequels!

(I was very impressed to learn that Patricia Highsmith, the author, started writing about Mr. Ripley while attending a famous writing seminar. She sold the book almost immediately. Plus Alfred Hitchcock opted to make the movie!)

Insomniac2 - I just finished the fifth and final Ripley book.  Loved them all.  So sorry there aren't any more.  

Super Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@rissajaneen -

Have you read the Louise Penney Books?The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 10) Kindle Edition

I first heard about it here on the forums and ended up reading every book (except her latest one) in the series. The compelling story of the residents of Three Pines and Inspector Gamache.

I have always also liked Martha Grimes, her Inspector Jury mysteries.

@on the bay   I love both of these authors and read every one of their books.  Another one you may enjoy is Elizabeth George whose characters are Inspector Lindley and his partner Havers.  I just finished re-reading "Believing The Lie" - one of the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kamidust wrote:

Not mystery or suspense, but I just read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck for the first time. But it is a classic for a reason. 

@Kamidust- anyone who knows me and my reading history knows that The Good Earth is my all-time favorite book. I read it in high school and wrote an essay on it for my college applications about how it affected my life.

I'd actually never read a book about that time period in China. I knew nothing about The Boxer Rebellion and how poor the people were and how they depended on their land to survive. Wang-Lung and O-Lan were two of my favorite characters, ever.

I have a First Edition copy of the book that Mr. Sunny bought me as a special gift. It's from 1939 and it has a typo where they printed the word "flea" instead of "flee." I treasure the book and try to read it from the paper book once a year rather than my Kindle, although I'm always looking through that edition too.

Yes, my very very favorite book in the world!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

just reread East of Eden. My very favorite book. I don't know really how many times I have read it,usually once a year.

Frequent Contributor

I have read To Kill A Mockingbird so many times I wouldn't be able to guess. The same goes to Grapes of Wrath. They touch me deeply.

Now on the other hand, I will reread Salems Lot. It was the first,in my opinion,

really scary book I had ever read. Compared to what's out there now its mild,

but it's still a good read.