Respected Contributor

Re: What “old” books are you reading?

Have you looked into the library apps? I love them. Free and no piling up books all over my house. If you have a Iibrary card you can go to the website and find all the info. 

Honored Contributor

Thinking of reading 1984 again...it's been since high school and seems timely now.

Regular Contributor

@joviolin wrote:

@pachutabelle- I LOVE A Confederacy of Dunces!  I feel as if not many people know about that book.  Did you ever read his first book, The Neon Bible?  It was written when JKT was 16 and was also published posthumously.  What a talented gem of an author.

I recently pulled out The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner and really enjoyed it.  I have a dozen or so classics that I purchased years ago and never got around to reading.  The pandemic is the perfect time to "tackle" some of these books.

Happy reading, everyone!     

I have not read The Neon Bible but I'll look for it.  Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Yes!  Cold Sassy Tree one of my faves!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For a taste of First Ladies bios try First Women by Kate Anderson Brower;  The Residence is also great  by her -  all about the White House.  

Respected Contributor

Not long ago, I read The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey.  The book was written in 1949, so interestingly, I noticed several instances of not being what we would call "politically correct."  The story is a mystery, but very different from our contemporary, modern, high tech read.  It was a refreshing change, IMO.  Not great, but good and just different. 

Esteemed Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I just finished reading Anne Tyler's The Amateur Marriage. This is my second time reading it.  I love how rich and complex her characters are.  It is a about the complexity of keep a marriage and a family together.  

Some other "old" books that I would recommend:

"Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  It is a mystery combined with literature and romance.  It is a story within a story set in Spain. "Leaving Time" by Jodi Picoult. It is an emotional, suspenseful story involving humans and elephants.

@momoftwo2007- OMG I loved Shadow of the Wind so much!! When my reading buddy recommended it to me, I thought no way. I'm not going to enjoy this book. Little did I know I'd literally sleep through the night until the morning, because I couldn't stop. It was an incredible book, one of my very favorites of all time.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

@laluzdelmundo wrote:

@rissajaneen  Just checked out this week a Sinclair Lewis novel "It can't happen here" and today while going thru my own collection found a copy of Muriel Sparks' "Memento mori," which is kind of sort of a mystery. Good times for the next few days! 

Our library branches are finally open again for curb side pickup (order our books online) which is great, but I kind of liked browsing. Maybe someday again but who knows when...

@laluzdelmundo   Oh my gosh, Memento Mori, I read it so long ago.  I remember that I loved it.  I have to get it for my kindle.  Thanks for mentioning it!  It Can't Happen Here would be another good one.

Honored Contributor

Really old:  Listening to Don Quixote and a little of the Canterbury Tales (a modern translation because I've forgotten most of the stories!). 

Frequent Contributor

@maximillian Helen McInnes is an excellent writer for WWII era spy/espionage novels that sound sort of similar to what you are describing