Frequent Contributor

What “old” books are you reading?

I love the what are you reading blog, but it always seems like people are reading newer books that just came out.  It's not really in my budget to spend a lot on books, and I usually order books used from eBay for about $4 each.  What older books - something that came out at least a couple years ago that I might be able to find used- would you recommend?  I read absolutely every genre with the exception of bodice ripping romance novels.  Mystery/ suspense/ spy would probably be my favorite though.

I rediscovered Robert Ludlum who wrote the Bourne novels that the movies were based on.  I also have been reading some of Grisham's first books that I never read at the time.  Also I read Eleanor oliphant is completely fine and thought it was a really cute book.  The funniest thing I read recently was the undomestic goddess by Sophie kinsella.

Contributor

Re: What “old” books are you reading?

Not mystery or suspense, but I just read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck for the first time. But it is a classic for a reason. 

Super Contributor

I am reading "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe. Not an easy read but it is on many suggested reading lists.
Valued Contributor

@rissajaneen  Just checked out this week a Sinclair Lewis novel "It can't happen here" and today while going thru my own collection found a copy of Muriel Sparks' "Memento mori," which is kind of sort of a mystery. Good times for the next few days! 

Our library branches are finally open again for curb side pickup (order our books online) which is great, but I kind of liked browsing. Maybe someday again but who knows when...

Honored Contributor

@rissajaneen -

Have you read the Louise Penney Books?The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 10) Kindle Edition

I first heard about it here on the forums and ended up reading every book (except her latest one) in the series. The compelling story of the residents of Three Pines and Inspector Gamache.

I have always also liked Martha Grimes, her Inspector Jury mysteries.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I'm currently reading Dr. Sleep (sequel to The Shining.)  I had purchased it but never read it.  And I just ordered The Talented Mr. Ripley - one of my fave movies - thought I'd read the book.  That one's really old.  

Respected Contributor

@rissajaneen wrote:

I love the what are you reading blog, but it always seems like people are reading newer books that just came out.  It's not really in my budget to spend a lot on books, and I usually order books used from eBay for about $4 each.  What older books - something that came out at least a couple years ago that I might be able to find used- would you recommend?  I read absolutely every genre with the exception of bodice ripping romance novels.  Mystery/ suspense/ spy would probably be my favorite though.

I rediscovered Robert Ludlum who wrote the Bourne novels that the movies were based on.  I also have been reading some of Grisham's first books that I never read at the time.  Also I read Eleanor oliphant is completely fine and thought it was a really cute book.  The funniest thing I read recently was the undomestic goddess by Sophie kinsella.

Before the pandemic, our local library had a book sale twice a year to raise money and clear books from the shelves. It wasn't very well publicized. We happened to be in the library when they were holding a sale and strolled through. Most of the books were hard copy and covered most book genres. It usually took place over 3 or 4 days and they're practically giving them away by the last day. Check to see if your local library has periodic sales. 

Regular Contributor

I am rereading in order the Dave Robicheaux books by James Lee Burke.  I like to get hard copies of these because my husband reads them too and he doesn't do Kindle.  I foolishly gave them away the first time because I don't normally like to re-read anything.  I have been finding them on eBay.

Also considering rereading A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES for the third time while since Burke puts me in a New Orleans state of mind. It is  by John Kennedy Tools and won a Pulitzer Prize.  Unfortunately it was after his death.  (A suicide I think). Anyway it is hilarious and sad all at the same time.  Seems I am now remembering that his mother had it published.

Trusted Contributor

I am reading The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe which came out quite a while ago. I guess it would be categorized women's fiction. What prompted me to find this was I won a copy of On Ocean Boulevard by the same author, and then found out it was fifth in a series, with The Beach House being the first book in the series. Readers said it could be read as a stand alone but I think you miss context when you read series out of order-so I went back to start at the beginning of the series. I am reading it on my kindle.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

Not old old, but from more than 5 years ago----

The Emperor of Ocean Park (S. Carter) -  mystery, political intrigue, racism are themes, but it's also a good family saga set mostly in the D.C. area.

We are not Ourselves (M. Thomas) -  another family saga, this one an Irish family with a NY area setting