Honored Contributor

Re: What is your favorite historical romance novel?

[ Edited ]

I no longer read romances but I was devoted to Kathleen Woodiwiss' books when I was in my 30s❤️

ETA:  I just looked up the title of my favorite by her.  It was Ashes in the Wind -- the heroine dressed as a boy during the Civil War.  

Valued Contributor

Aother vote for Forever Amber.  Very naughty for its time, but it still is a great read and historically correct for the most part.

and what red blooded American girl never read Gone With the Wind?

Trusted Contributor

Pride & Prejudice and anything by Jane Austen.

I, too, loved The Thornbirds.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier...One of my favorite books & great suspense. 

Jane Eyre

Wuthering Heights

Trusted Contributor

@Margo Channing wrote:

Aother vote for Forever Amber.  Very naughty for its time, but it still is a great read and historically correct for the most part.

and what red blooded American girl never read Gone With the Wind?

Ha, I've never read GWTW. I barely got through the movie. Not my thing, I guess, but I've read plenty of stuff that I loved that others could barely choke through. To each her own. Cheers!

Honored Contributor

@Tweetybrd

Just to be clear .......  a historical romance novel is fiction not set in the present time?   

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tweetybrd

Just to be clear .......  a historical romance novel is fiction not set in the present time?   

@Tinkrbl44- that's correct. It takes place in a different time than the present. I just looked up the definition to make it easier for us to understand, and just found it on goodreads:

"Historical fiction presents a story set in the past, often during a significant time period. In historical fiction, the time period is an important part of the setting and often of the story itself.

Historical fiction may include fictional characters, well-known historical figures or a mixture of the two. Authors of historical fiction usually pay close attention to the details of their stories (settings, clothing, dialogue, etc.) to ensure that they fit the time periods in which the narratives take place.

In some historical fiction, famous events appear from points of view not recorded in history, showing historical figures dealing with actual events while depicting them in a way that is not recorded in history. Other times, the historical event or time period complements a story's narrative, forming a framework and background for the characters' lives. Sometimes, historical fiction can be for the most part true, but the names of people and places have been in some way altered.

As this is fiction, artistic license is permitted in regard to presentation and subject matter, so long as it does not deviate in significant ways from established history. If events should deviate significantly, the story may then fall into the genre of alternate history, which is known for speculating on what could have happened if a significant historical event had gone differently. On a similar note, events occurring in historical fiction must adhere to the laws of physics."

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

The Poutlander series.

My grade partner in History got me going (ancestors were/are Scottish Highlanders before they came to US), and now I'm done-just stick a fork in me.

These are addictive. Hoping to receive the DVD set for Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed The Sighs of Lyle Walker. It took place in 1931 in Reno, when the new divorce law there changed to a new short 6-week residency to get divorced. It seemed to have a tiny bit of enchantment with divorcees kissing a pillar at the courthouse and then tossing their wedding rings in a river. But after reading I looked it up online, and I guess they actually did that! It was also the era of bootlegging and a law legalizing gambling in Reno.

Honored Contributor

I was going to recommend these two books, I have a copy of both on my book shelf , I spent a Summer during High School reading The WInds of War, there was romance better Natalie Jastow and Byron Henry.

@Stevie Nix wrote:

One of the best historical novels I've read - many years ago - was Herman Wouk's "Winds of War" and its sequels.  If you haven't read them give them a try.  I don't remember if there was a lot of "romance" though.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@Tweetybrd,

This is also one of my favorite genres. Have you read something by Philippa Gregory? Some are more dramatic than others however she does her research and they are quite accurate particularly the ones from the Tudor period🌻